Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Why so few jet warbirds in Europe?

Hello everyone,
So I’ve been wondering about the staggering difference between the US and Europe when in comes to jet warbirds, thought this might be a good place to ask.

There are over 200 L-39s in the US, maybe ~20 in Europe? But I am especially interested in the true fighters. There are a few Mig-15 derivatives in PL and CZ, Hawker Hunter and Mirage III in CH and the F-104 in Norway. Maybe I missed a few. But there are way more in the US and that’s not counting the amazing inventory of defense adversary companies like Draken and ATAC.

Also, are there any non (ex-)military pilots flying any of those aircraft in Europe? There has to be a European Jared Isaacman?! I mean, there must be a few UHNWIs in Europe with an interest in aerospace and looking for a new toy, like, why don’t the Flying Bulls have a 3rd or 4th Gen fighter? Can’t be the lack of money, resources or pilots.

I appreciate any insights.

Last Edited by noplanB at 22 Dec 13:06
Germany

More than half of the world’s filthy rich UHNWI are in the US, and the US in general is a lot more tolerant of conspicuous consumption than the EU. These two factors alone should already explain a lot.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 22 Dec 13:21
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Wonder how many in China?

noplanB wrote:

there must be a few UHNWIs in Europe with an interest in aerospace

Yes, there are a few… but not everybody has an interest in “jet warbirds”. And the FAA is far more cooperative in this kind of operation than its European counterparts

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Ultranomad wrote:

More than half of the world’s filthy rich UHNWI are in the US, and the US in general is a lot more tolerant of conspicuous consumption than the EU. These two factors alone should already explain a lot.

Not everyone is a small, impoverished ex com bloc nation.

Dan wrote:

Yes, there are a few… but not everybody has an interest in “jet warbirds”. And the FAA is far more cooperative in this kind of operation than its European counterparts

Can you fly ex mil jets IFR anywhere in Europe?! There are at least 2 active L-39 teams in EU so they must train somewhere, entry speeds to their maneuvers are >250 knots.

Germany

And in the US you have more remote areas where you can play with these jet warbirds. This accident for example was lucky, but could have been much worse as the surrounding of the airport is heavily populated.

LHFM, LHTL, Hungary

robirdus wrote:

And in the US you have more remote areas where you can play with these jet warbirds. This accident for example was lucky, but could have been much worse as the surrounding of the airport is heavily populated.
https://iho.hu/img/rep%C3%BCl_%C3%BAj/110718_UTI/03.png

What’s the context of the photo? Tököl? Planned on attending Budaörs airshow this year, then found out it is owned / operated by NER s***.

Last Edited by noplanB at 22 Dec 14:21
Germany

noplanB wrote:

Not everyone is a small, impoverished ex com bloc nation.

No, it’s not really about “impoverished ex com bloc nations”, it’s more about the Protestant ethics of thrift and moderation.

Can you fly ex mil jets IFR anywhere in Europe?!

Let’s first ask how many ex-mil jets can at all be flown European-style IFR… From the civilian standpoint, most of these are VFR-only machines.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 22 Dec 14:29
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Ultranomad wrote:

From the civilian standpoint, most of these are VFR-only machines.

The lack of FR24 traces in this fleet suggest the lack of Mode-S, effectively mean ‘VFR only’…I am ignoring other considerations like they have stealth radar shields and are flown by wealthy pilots who value their privacy

Last Edited by Ibra at 22 Dec 14:41
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

noplanB wrote:

What’s the context of the photo? Tököl?

This very unfortunate accident happened in 2011 with the nicely restored MIG-15.
The plane was in good condition, weather was good, pilots were experienced. Still – this can happen and this is why I’d rather see these birds somewhere in the countryside, not in Tokol for example.

LHFM, LHTL, Hungary

Ibra wrote:

The lack of FR24 traces in this fleet suggest the lack of Mode-S, effectively mean ‘VFR only’…I am ignoring other considerations like they have stealth radar shields and are flown by wealthy pilots who value their privacy

Flying Annex 2 IFR is legal in at least Lithuania, Poland, Norway, Sweden.

Germany
35 Posts
Sign in to add your message