Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Windows 10 eating my OS C??

@Flyer59, I migrate between three countries (two of which are outside the EU) on a regular basis and often work elsewhere while travelling, and this is precisely why I don’t use Dropbox and the like – it’s just too slow and unreliable to use them via 3G.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 03 Nov 17:17
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

I have no idea between which countries you travel .. but I use Dropbox via 3 G all the time, 4 years now and it always works. But it’s even more important that i have all data at every desk I work at

Ultranomad wrote:

even the most secure Internet cloud compromises your privacy in some way

What makes you so sure that your local computer is more secure?

Ultranomad wrote:

cloud services, again, I just don’t need them

You use them all the time, when you use email, maps, traffic, schedule a meeting with friends using you calendar app.

The scenarios are just getting more sophisticated over time.
Old way of determining the time to leave to arrive for a meeting on time?
1. Opening favorite calendar app to see whether I have an appointment/event/meeting
2. Figure out address of current and destination location
2. Opening favorite map app to figure our best route.
4. Opening up traffic app, to check whether you have to account additional driving time

New way with Cortana
1. Not necessary
2. Not necessary
3. Not necessary
4. Not necessary
Relax until you get a message pushed to you telling you to leave now. No need to talk to Cortant (or Siri). You focus on task completion, which in this case is driving the car. With trillions (yes this is the right scale) of events ingested by massive machine learning clusters in the not so distant future, these scenarios are growing quickly in sophistication. Siri does not have the same level of sophistication, mostly because of Apple’s lack of machine learning and datacenter capacity.
You can only imagine the infinite number of scenarios solved machine reasoning. “Mow lawn now, because it will rain in 20 minutes from now”. Predicting winds aloft using machine learning, etc…

United States

All of that will stop working over about 90% of the UK’s land area, which has no mobile data coverage

Well, there is a lot of GPRS (like where I live) but it is so slow as to be useless for any data.

The other problem with cloud apps is that you pay for them all the time and for ever. Whereas if e.g. a particular version of photoshop works for me, I will never change it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It works in every OFFICE and that’s what counts for me, mostly. But it also works along all major highways (parking lots ..) and at every place ith WIFI .. which is millions of places.

I pay $ 99 for 1 TB of Dropbox, yearly. I think that’s a good deal.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 03 Nov 18:19

Lucius wrote:

What makes you so sure that your local computer is more secure?

At the very least, the fact that I can disconnect it from the net altogether if necessary. Alternatively, I can connect it through a Tor (or another anonymising network) gateway with no direct IP traffic coming through. Not that I need it, it’s merely a description of what can be done.

You use them all the time, when you use email, maps, traffic, schedule a meeting with friends using you calendar app.

Wrong on all four counts. My e-mail is on dedicated servers, and the server for one of my accounts is right by my desk at this moment. The maps I use for driving are on an SD card. I don’t use traffic apps because on a motorcycle I can filter through anyway. I don’t use calendar apps, even offline ones, I don’t even have a paper-based organizer – everything is in my head or on a sticky note at the most, as I can’t really plan my life for more than a few days ahead. And as to “trillions of events”, even on a much simpler task – predicting my search queries from the first letters typed – Google is failing miserably thus far.

Peter wrote:

The other problem with cloud apps is that you pay for them all the time and for ever. Whereas if e.g. a particular version of photoshop works for me, I will never change it.

Exactly my point. Same with cloud storage, by the way:

Flyer59 wrote:

I pay $ 99 for 1 TB of Dropbox, yearly. I think that’s a good deal.

For the same $99, one can get a 1 TB disk drive that will serve a lot longer than a year. I know, it won’t protect me in case of fire at home, but I somehow find it more important to be protected in case of Internet outage, which happens several times a year.

Haha! Now that is really funny! And then? You think I will save all my projects on an extrernal HDD and carry it around? That’s really very old school :-)

Other than that Dropbox guarantees the integrity of all data, I can share folders with my (2 different) teams and much more …

Other than that Dropbox guarantees the integrity of all data

I can de-integrate the integrity of your dropbox data fairly easily… just let me post a dropbox URL containing some highly desirable object, say 100MB in size, on the open internet, and see how long it is before they pull your account

(happened to me too – they have an interesting fair usage policy)

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I could come to your house and destroy the integrity of your HDD with a simple hammer :-)

I use my Dropbox since 2010, and I never had the smallest problem with it. And Dropbox does backups of everything and guarantees that it can recover everything.

PS. You shouldn’t store illegal stuff in your Dropbox. But I don’t do that ;-)

By the way: Dropbox employees have no acccess to your files.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 03 Nov 20:22
Sign in to add your message