Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Windows - is it a bit of a joke?

You must be kidding to move such a nice notebook to xp
Win8 is dramatically faster and better .. Okay .. Maybe you want to download classic shell

MacOs .. No tx .. it is a nice os .. i never understood it properly though and I do not find all better.

windows 8.1 is neat, clean and very fast
There is huge range of choice for devices and it has unlocked some really nice pieces of kit like new tablets and tablet pc’s. Personally i use the ms Surface Pro and so do my daughters and we all love it..
but also the new Asus and lenovo notebooks starting at € 400 are already really great.

Peter it is time to come out of the stoneages … You already have a nice win8 tablet.. Why on earth would you want to go xp unless you are running some ancient software that cannot go higher?

JSUM is available as MacOS application.

Really? Long time not checked that stuff. But I can’t ditch the XP VM. I still need it for the ADL firmware updates..,

EDXQ

Yup. I use JSUM on Mac nearly a year

United Kingdom

It’s not called JSUM but JDM for the Mac and i use it on my MacBook Pro aswell. No problems.

I dumped Parallels from my Mac, and i will not use Outlook anymore aswell since Apple Mail, Contacts and Calender synced with my iPads and my iPhone is a much cleaner solution.

I would never go back to Windows. I have never had a virus on any Mac and they almost never crash.

What I like most about the Mac is Time Machine – you hardly notice when it’s running whereas run Microsoft onboard Backup programs and you’ll feel your machine struggle. Worse, most onboard Windows tools can’t run a complete backup – I know, I’ve backed up numerous laptops to my Home Server yet when I come to restore them after some crash or other, the backup fails. It has NEVER failed with Time Machine when (e.g.) migrating from one hard drive to another.

EDL*, Germany

> It’s not called JSUM but JDM for the Mac

It’s called ‘JDM app’ in my applications folder. lol

Time Machine:
I had to backup a few times mostly due newer and bigger hard drives and it was great.
Or you delete a file and need it it later. You can just pick it from there.

United Kingdom

For backing up a windows machine, Trueimage is the best. It “just works”. I’ve been using it for many years, for desktops, laptops, etc.

The issues with it are the usual issues you can always get if restoring to hardware which was not supported when the backup was originally made – because a full O/S+apps restore needs booting from a boot CD which then launches the restore app (Trueimage uses some version of unix for the boot CD).

But unless you have some weird RAID controller (for which there is a process for creating the boot CD, though complicated) just downloading the trial version of the latest Trueimage usually does it, by booting that, and restoring the backup using it, with the restore conveniently overwriting the trial version

At work we use mag tape, DDS5 currently (72GB). At £5 each, it is easy to keep the proper multi level backup hierarchy. At home I have a DLT tape drive (160GB).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter,

Please could you spell out how to obtain/download Trueimage for my ancient Dell Laptop running XP so I can (?) make a re-bootablecopy of the programmes too ?

Normally when I have experienced a full failure of the hard drive I’ve used my data files back up after re-loading XP from the original discs, but thereafter had to laboriously recall what programmes I had (screen print of desk top on file helps) and load them in one by one and it takes days to de-bug drivers etc.

Regards,

mike hallam.

As the simewhat ashamed original poster.

I think it really is. My main PC was getting a little slow so six months or so I installed a solid state hard drive for xp and kept the main hard drive for data etc.

After 4 months I kept getting errors so I decided to do a clean install using my geniue xp disc. But errors galore.. So out of total desperation I downloaded a dodgy copy and it worked first time.

Last Edited by Bathman at 12 Jan 22:14
Sign in to add your message