Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Windows - is it a bit of a joke?

Please could you spell out how to obtain/download Trueimage for my ancient Dell Laptop running XP so I can (?) make a re-bootablecopy of the programmes too ?

You just buy the program and install it.

There is a function to create a bootable CD which the machine can then boot from if the HD has failed, and this contains a copy of TI which can access the backup file from say an attached DVD or blueray DVD drive, or even over a network. You need to test this boot CD after you have created it, to make sure it works.

The TI restore restores the O/S also. It doesn’t care what was on the HD. If the HD has failed, you put in a replacement (preferably one with the same interface i.e. SATA for SATA, etc) and do the restore. I have done that many times. Many times, a friend has brought back a laptop which I originally helped to configure for him, which got trashed by somebody going wild online with it, and I just restored the last TI HD image.

There is no issue with the programs; TI backs up the entire HD. It doesn’t care what is on the HD. It just backs up all the logical sectors that contain data. Under any modern O/S it isn’t really practical to backup individual programs (due to config storage issues etc). What I found TI doesn’t do is backup the recovery partition on Thinkpads (and probably other laptops) so if you lose a laptop HD you lose the laptop’s recovery feature, but that never bothered me.

Anyway after two weeks the ssd giving errors galore so its shagged. So I tryed and failed to reinstall the genuine xp copy again to find its a crock of shire. The hacked copy mind you worked first time.

That is a curious problem. Must have been a damaged CD. There are issues with SSDs and XP, but I have never seen problems on laptops. Only on desktops running 24/7 are there issues – consistently after about a year IME.

I think windows (XP onwards) gets a lot of undeserved bad press. It gets installed on loads of different hardware, 99% of which is beyond the O/S developers’ control, and since “everybody” hates M$ all the virus writers are trying to attack it. And because something like 99% of PC users run Outlook for email, that provides another handy attack vector. Outlook is a crappy piece of bloatware anyway, slow on all but the fastest hardware, and making it so obscure to backup one’s emails that almost nobody does it. Apple, OTOH, have had a great honeymoon for many years when they were adored as the underdog, keeping away the virus writers, and by stopping 3rd party hardware they at a stroke eliminated most of the problems. I don’t think Apple products are in any special way immune to attacks, and they have attracted huge resources in the Iphone/Ipad jailbreaking scene which demonstrated that they have just the same back doors as anybody else. The early jailbreaks involved just going to some website and downloading and opening a PDF.

Last Edited by Peter at 13 Jan 07:48
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

As the simewhat ashamed original poster.

I think it really is. My main PC was getting a little slow so six months or so I installed a solid state hard drive for xp and kept the main hard drive for data etc.

After 4 months I kept getting errors so I decided to do a clean install using my geniue xp disc. But errors galore.. So out of total desperation I downloaded a dodgy copy and it worked first time.

Last Edited by Bathman at 12 Jan 22:14

Peter,

Please could you spell out how to obtain/download Trueimage for my ancient Dell Laptop running XP so I can (?) make a re-bootablecopy of the programmes too ?

Normally when I have experienced a full failure of the hard drive I’ve used my data files back up after re-loading XP from the original discs, but thereafter had to laboriously recall what programmes I had (screen print of desk top on file helps) and load them in one by one and it takes days to de-bug drivers etc.

Regards,

mike hallam.

For backing up a windows machine, Trueimage is the best. It “just works”. I’ve been using it for many years, for desktops, laptops, etc.

The issues with it are the usual issues you can always get if restoring to hardware which was not supported when the backup was originally made – because a full O/S+apps restore needs booting from a boot CD which then launches the restore app (Trueimage uses some version of unix for the boot CD).

But unless you have some weird RAID controller (for which there is a process for creating the boot CD, though complicated) just downloading the trial version of the latest Trueimage usually does it, by booting that, and restoring the backup using it, with the restore conveniently overwriting the trial version

At work we use mag tape, DDS5 currently (72GB). At £5 each, it is easy to keep the proper multi level backup hierarchy. At home I have a DLT tape drive (160GB).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

> It’s not called JSUM but JDM for the Mac

It’s called ‘JDM app’ in my applications folder. lol

Time Machine:
I had to backup a few times mostly due newer and bigger hard drives and it was great.
Or you delete a file and need it it later. You can just pick it from there.

United Kingdom

What I like most about the Mac is Time Machine – you hardly notice when it’s running whereas run Microsoft onboard Backup programs and you’ll feel your machine struggle. Worse, most onboard Windows tools can’t run a complete backup – I know, I’ve backed up numerous laptops to my Home Server yet when I come to restore them after some crash or other, the backup fails. It has NEVER failed with Time Machine when (e.g.) migrating from one hard drive to another.

EDL*, Germany

It’s not called JSUM but JDM for the Mac and i use it on my MacBook Pro aswell. No problems.

I dumped Parallels from my Mac, and i will not use Outlook anymore aswell since Apple Mail, Contacts and Calender synced with my iPads and my iPhone is a much cleaner solution.

I would never go back to Windows. I have never had a virus on any Mac and they almost never crash.

Yup. I use JSUM on Mac nearly a year

United Kingdom

JSUM is available as MacOS application.

Really? Long time not checked that stuff. But I can’t ditch the XP VM. I still need it for the ADL firmware updates..,

EDXQ

Peter it is time to come out of the stoneages … You already have a nice win8 tablet.. Why on earth would you want to go xp unless you are running some ancient software that cannot go higher?

21 Posts
Sign in to add your message