Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Women in the Captain's seat

Here is another one, from the US “Flying” magazine

Some of it is a bit ridiculous (some cowboy behaviour by males) but I also think that deriving statistics from situations where people have to behave differently for reasons not related to the activity being considered, is a dodgy process, IMHO.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I feel Mrs. Ellis deserves a mention. If only because she has flown way more interesting aeroplanes than most of us ever will.

Last Edited by it_flies at 11 Mar 19:58
EHLE

I forgot to mention my favourite flight instructor

Guess I lost all my mojo right there. This is an internal joke from last weekend.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 09 Mar 20:48
LFPT, LFPN

the first (and so far the only) woman

gosh no no no noooooo
as long as this aspect gets being pointed out
the root of the matter hasn’t been found

Why can’t she simply be the finest pilot of the team, or the best gifted captain?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

One of my favourites is Adrienne Bolland

Here she is, pictured around 1921, perhaps getting ready for her flight over the Andes – the first woman to make the flight.

The flight over the Andes was a publicity stunt to promote the new Caudron G3 model. Guess what? They thought that if a woman could fly it – hey, anyone could!
She took off on April 1, 1921 from Mendoza, Argentina, and flew at 14,750 feet (4500 m), which meant she had to fly around some of the mountains. 10 hours later, she landed in Santiago de Chile. A huge crowd head gathered to celebrate her achievement — notably missing was the French consul who believed it was an April Fool’s Day joke. Et oui!

For those who read French, her Souvenirs Irrévérencieux are very entertaining.

Thank you all for your contributions!

Bordeaux

One more worthy name – Virginie Guyot, a French fighter pilot, the first (and so far the only) woman in the world to lead a jet aerobatic team, Patrouille de France:

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

The stuff is so clean you can almost use it to degrease surfaces before painting.

When flying the C421, which upon starting always blows a lot of oil throgh the exhaust onto the landing gear doors, I always used the drained fuel to clean these parts. But on the singles I always pour the drained fuel right back into the tank. If it is clean of course. One has to check if the filler caps are securely on anyway, so why not do that in one go?
But of all the fuel wasted in aviation, the stuff drained from a light single once a day is certainly among the least bits. Much worse are pilots/operators who get their aircraft topped up after landing on a warm summer day and the expanding fuel keeps dripping onto the tarmac all afternoon. Can see that everywhere…

But this has got nothing to do with female pilots, I’m afraid

Last Edited by what_next at 09 Mar 14:34
EDDS - Stuttgart

My old CFI used to tell me to chuck it on the floor because that was the best way to see water globules separate out which might otherwise be missed in the strainer.
Of course these days that’s all a politically incorrect no-no.
No point chucking water back into the tanks again either.

Last Edited by flybymike at 09 Mar 14:28
Egnm, United Kingdom

Well, the Youtube version of her video got 424 comments, mostly predictable… but then the film-maker could not even remotely have been unaware of the reaction the movie was going to get…. it’s the way the world revolves! Anyway, Youtube comments are mostly banal.

I like this bit

However it is not encouraging the recruitment of women (or men!) who have had some eddUkKkaTtion! And those who have not are not going to be flying for very long…

BTW it is normal in the UK to chuck the avgas out. It evaporates to almost nothing. The stuff is so clean you can almost use it to degrease surfaces before painting. You can certainly clean a plane with it and it comes out shining like it was done by a professional firm. Not so with Jet-A1…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
And this is for Europe ;)

I have just seen the video with the nice young lady preparing for her cross country flight.
For me throwing fuel away into the environment is a bad behavior of the good old days and does not promote the acceptance of Aviation in the society.
Fuel can be easily collected in a bottle and fed to the tank again. This is what I have learned from the beginning and what I and my female copilot practice everytime.

Berlin, Germany
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message