Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Yet another "new" "toy" to fly for me... (Beech 33)

Looking nice (big third window and speed slope windshield), but the entire panel would have to be done and equipped with modern avionics for proper IFR. 50k at the very least.

But the big showstopper is that these early Debs have too small tanks. Such aircraft would be almost unusable here in Europe.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

50k at the very least.

I can never understand this budget for a puddle jumper. An 8.33 COM, an IFR GPS (2nd hand) and Mode S is enough for light GA IFR. Potentially achievable from less than 10k. The aircraft has working VOR/ILS.

Wouldn’t a 1965 Debonair have 74 USG useable? Enough for 600NM IFR?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

The plane in the Barnstormers link is a 1960 model Debonair, no? Those have 50 gallons standard fuel capacity.

Found this owners manual on line too, quite interesting to read.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 13 Nov 20:02

My mistake the 74 USG came in with the B-33, this model would need the tip tanks mod. Using a block 12 USGPH and planning a solid one hour reserve, in effect a 2 1/2 hour tourer, or 375nm VFR.

Found this owners manual on line too, quite interesting to read.

@Silvaire interesting the older manual includes a performance chart for short take off, but later manuals do not. The Bonanza wing with 20 degree flaps is a very creditable performer, and the older manual shows an ISA sea level short take off at 2800 lbs as being below 1000 feet over a 50 foot obstacle. Conversely the later manual which only shows flaps up takeoff, with a higher lift off speed, at around 3,000 feet.

The A36 earns a good living in Alaska on the gravel strips.

On @Boscomantico point of the small fuel, it is worth adding the early models only 44 usg out of the 50 usg are useable, and you need a minimum 13 usg in a tank on take off. Using 12 usgph as block planning, adding 4 usg for first hour and 8 usg for 45 minute reserve, it confirms this is practically only a two and a half hour VFR aircraft, albeit at 150 KTAS. (44 minus (12 plus 4 plus 8) leaves 20 usg or slightly more than 1 1/2 hour plus the first hour)

Last Edited by RobertL18C at 15 Nov 10:06

and here some nice grass strip flying in Sweden in a Debonair

This one has a few years later been repainted, with white on the top and polished metal on the bottom. One of the most beautiful aircraft I have ever seen. Seen it during my visit to Visby in 2017 (here) but a better photo is here

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

RobertL18C wrote:

and here some nice grass strip flying in Sweden in a Debonair

The departure is from my home field, Sundbro (ESKC). The approach is to Stegeborg (ESVE). The final taxying is again at Sundbro.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

@Airborne_Again beautiful grass field flying, very nice place to be based.

Reviving as a Debbie from California might be making its way to a EuroGA fly in.

Will start a thread on the journey (both the journey of acquisition and the journey back to the UK).

Sign in to add your message