Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Youtube video - DA42 IFR into Frankfurt in heavy weather

Yes those are challenging conditions and your workload would increase single pilot. Stressed is the wrong word but I would be very aware of the weather risk and would probably have cancelled and gone into EDFE where I could visually avoid cells.

EGTK Oxford

From my perspective (VFR) this looks like over average good VFR conditions. Then you could have avoided flying into the clouds/turbulence all together.

I wonder why he didn’t do that at the first opportunity, he had several. Even the big guys diverted all over the place. Looks like he only had one set of procedure that he was determined to follow at all cost. Would going VFR had prevented him from landing at that airport?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Without knowing the date/time one can’t comment on cloudbases down below, etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Without knowing the date/time one can’t comment on cloudbases down below, etc.

At 01:21 in the video, he posts this TAF:

TAF AMD EDDF 122010Z 1220/1324 34005KT 9999 SCT040
TEMPO 1220/1222 SHRA BKN040CB
BECMG 1300/1303 04005KT
TEMPO 1310/1318 02010KT SHRA SCT030CB
PROB30 TEMPO 1311/1317 01015G25KT TSRA BKN020CB
BECMG 1318/1321 34008KT=

Which, looking at the archive on Ogimet, would mean the approach was done on May 12 or 13, 2016. In the ATIS, we hear “met report time 1150”, which is a bit strange because there would have been other TAFs after this one.

He is definitely preoccupied about not being a nuisance to traffic at this big international airport, as he tells us in the audio right at the start of the video (“you need to know your runways, your exits, your taxiways”…). Which explains why this issue seems to be at the top of his mind while others might find it less important. But imagine the comments here if he had caused a big airliner to go around because he stopped on the runway to ask which way to turn off. ;)

Just having come back from Sweden, I find it funny that he says “hej då” for “goodbye” to the german controller at 4m13s :). Only then did I notice it is actually a “Sierra Echo” registered plane.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 02 Jun 10:16

Nice movie…workload is amazing high..

I still wonder how bizjets can be certified single pilot in such conditions but with 250KIAS AND a paying nerd in the bag, questioning any deviation from the destination. I guess any malfunction results quickly in a crash…

My point in this question of safety?

Are the limits kept for the plane (obviously yes)

Are the limits of the crew kept (no idea)

Are operational limitations kept (?)

To sum it up: there is no yes/no answer

I would nit go in with this weather, but I would definitely fly it with a two pilot crew.

I still wonder how bizjets can be certified single pilot in such conditions but with 250KIAS AND a paying nerd in the bag, questioning any deviation from the destination. I guess any malfunction results quickly in a crash…

They aren’t. All jet paying-passenger ops are multi pilot.

Only pistons and turboprops can be single pilot with paying passengers.

but I would definitely fly it with a two pilot crew.

Can you be specific as to how that would change the risk?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Walter wrote:

I still wonder how bizjets can be certified single pilot in such conditions but with 250KIAS AND a paying nerd in the bag

If there is a paying customer, there will typically be two pilots even in a single pilot certified aircraft. But you also have to remember that those conditions would be much more comfortable (still not pleasant) in, say, a Mustang at 2.5 times the MTOW, more speed, better RADAR, better radios (less static), better anti and deicing, no fogging windscreens etc and less soft pressure due to better relative speeds vs traffic.

Last Edited by JasonC at 02 Jun 10:25
EGTK Oxford

Only pistons and turboprops can be single pilot with paying passengers.

Is this true? AFAIK turboprop ops transporting passengers (eg. with Kingairs or with C208’s in the tropics) are also flown with 2 pilots.

Last Edited by blueline at 02 Jun 10:25
LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Hi peter
As for the risks…

“Assuming ops and plan limits are kept in their margins, the obvious risk factor is human … Hence I would like to fly such an approach with a good friend of mine, who is a certified test pilot for the diamond and has quite an experiance on this frame. This would allow me ti increase my knowledge and would be safer, as 4 eyes see more and 4 hands can carry more workload, (not sure about two brains ;-)

And for single ops

I have some pilots doing the ATP with an N reg. jet to do single ops in Europe…also with paying load

But then again…why to ask for the thrill…delaying the flight or cancelling it is a perfect option…always

Sign in to add your message