Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Zagreb, Dubrovnik or Mostar

Hi all,

We’re planning our annual Europe trip and this year we’re heading to Portoroz (LJPZ), last year we visited Jersey, La Rochelle (where we met Peter) and finally Colmar before heading north again. It’s great fun everytime.

On this trip we’re planning to do a day trip south or east from LJPZ and the choices that have come up is Zagreb, Dubrovnik and Mostar.

Zagreb is only 1 hour away so it’s very doable as a day trip. Easy VFR as well (although almost all of us have IR ratings).

Dubrovnik and Mostar might be the more scenic choices, the trip south is probably extremely scenic at low altitudes following the published VFR Route and we’ve heard nice things about the cities. We visited Vrsar a few years ago and that was very nice VFR. The airport was especially interesting departing south or landing north with the huge cliff just at the end of the runway (and the local guy who responded “cleared to land” to everything, he probably didn’t know a word English). The downside of Dubrovnik/Mostar is that it’s a 2 hour flight one way, so it will be a quite long day.

I haven’t looked at the landing fees yet, so that aspect hasn’t been taken into account.

I’m sure that many of you have been in the area more than once. What’s your opinion? Are there any other cities that we should visit while we’re there instead of the ones I’ve mentioned?

On our way back we’ll try Bolzano and the Brenner pass if the WX cooperates, otherwise we’ll probably fly up to Bratislava and spend the night there.

Thanks in advance all!

Last Edited by martin-esmi at 02 Jun 18:58

Losinj (LDLO) is an obvious stopping point on your way south from LJPZ.

If you are already as far as Dubrovnik, you should fly a bit further to Tivat (LYTV) and visit the bay of Kotor with it’s walled city (UNESCO world heritage). IMHO one of the nicest destinations in the Adriatic.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Portoroz is a great well organised friendly place, quite cheap (€30 from vague memory, a few years ago) but they made me park on grass, which was of good quality. The town is very nice too; lots of nice food. I went there c. 2010.

Zagreb is a well organised airport, not very cheap (€100?). The city has loads to do. I was there Sep 2014 and before that.

Dubrovnik was fine when I went there in 2006, not expensive, and the city was hugely scenic, with the old walled bit the best.

All these are in my trip writeups.

Mali Losinj and Brac are lovely island places. EuroGA had a super fly-in to Mali Losinj in May 2014.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks for the advice. I’ll definitely take a look at LDLO.

f you are already as far as Dubrovnik, you should fly a bit further to Tivat (LYTV) and visit the bay of Kotor with it’s walled city (UNESCO world heritage). IMHO one of the nicest destinations in the Adriatic.

Sounds like a great place to visit, but probably need more than a day?

Portoroz is a great well organised friendly place, quite cheap (€30 from vague memory, a few years ago) but they made me park on grass, which was of good quality. The town is very nice too; lots of nice food. I went there c. 2010.

We’ve actually been there before. It’s a great last schengen stop before entering Croatia and also a good place to stay. Highly recommended.

Is Croatia in Schengen?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Nope. A few years ago, they eyed 2015 for joining Schengen, but it didn’t come true.

In the meantime, the crisis has come over Croatia, but I think that the reasons for the delay are more “political” than “economical/financial”.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Obviously, Ljubljana isn’t very far away. It’s not a huge city and although one could spend a lot more time there than a day, it’s would also be worthwhile for a day trip. I can’t remember the exact fees at the airport, but think it was neither particularly cheap nor expensive compared to the other places in the region I know.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

I have a vacation house in Montenegro, just south of Dubrovnik. Tivat is marginally the closest airport(need to pass the Kotor bay by ferry.)
Called them to ask about landing fees, parking and 100LL.
Not very friendly and didn’t have 100LL. Prices are steep.

Called Dubrovnik instead and all prices were lower than Tivat. Didn’t react to the fuel price either, so its probably not too bad(can’t remember exactly)
They seemed very GA friendly and handlers spoke good english.

By the way the, our vacation home is available at a discounted rate for EuroGa members. (-15%)
Need to rent car from Dubrovnik.

http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/accommodation/p8053691

Espen

spirit49
LOIH

Dubrovnik LDDU is probably between €70 and €90, depending on number of passengers. Avgas is available and it’s approximately €2.5. However, it’s easy to check before arrival – they are always responsive. It’s also worth of checking if there’s free parking spots, especially in high season.

Mostar LQMO is around €50 but they don’t have Avgas. The city itself is very scenic with one of the most beautiful stone bridges ever built.

Flying south from LJPZ, you can easily visit island of Brac LDSB with one of the most beautiful sand beaches on Adriatics in town of Bol close to the airport. Avgas is available but landing and handling will be over €100.

Last Edited by Emir at 02 Jun 22:04
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Sounds like a great place to visit, but probably need more than a day?

Depends on what you want to do. Montenegro is nice for hiking, but for that you need more time. But Tivat has a stunning IFR approach, the most complex I’ve ever flown in IMC. You can certainly go to Kotor bay in a day.

Indeed, the airport is not so flexible, and they don’t stock AVGAS.

LSZK, Switzerland
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message