Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EuroGA Summer 2014 Fly-In - Corsica 5-8 September

I would file Bastia as the alternate…

People like Peter will definitely want to try to “reserve” a parking spot on the hard.

Actually I am quite happy to just shut down before reaching the bad surface and stand there with the towbar in my hand, until somebody comes along to help. If I have 2 others in the plane then we can move it even on grass. No way will I knowingly drive onto a surface which I am not sure about. Only a renter can do that. Been there, done that, got the 20000 quid prop strike and 3 months of downtime. Now fancy managing that scenario in Corsica… at least two airline flights from home.

Last Edited by Peter at 29 Aug 20:54
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I was quite suprised that no ILS is available (Peter? ). So it’s localizer without GP … strange. What’s suggested alternate?

Jesus Christ, only a LOC approach! What am I gonna do?

Seriously, if you knew the place, you would understand why. Due to the missed approach, the terrain to the south wouldn’t allow to put the MAP any much lower or any closer to the airport. So a glideslope would just be an expensive item to have for nothing.

Anyway, it definitely looks like no instrument approaches whatsoever will be needed next weekend.

Actually I am quite happy to just shut down before reaching the bad surface and stand there with the towbar in my hand.

Sure, and that’s what we did. But it can still be a PITA in the summer sunshine if you have to tow it 50 meters or more.

If briefly considered accelerating to say 15 knots and than kill the mixture just before the rough stuff so as to roll more or less to our parking position, but I didn’t know what the ramp guy would say. Oh, and he sure didn’t help us with the towing…

Btw, as I said, the surface is not grass.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 30 Aug 12:51
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Which brings us back to…

http://www.euroga.org/forums/hangar-talk/2787-rc-airplane-tug

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

So here’s a plan:

Peter does not take contributions for keeping this great forum in the air, so the member each chip in some money so that he buys this tug..
And uses it as he pleases, with the obligation however to take in to all of our fly-ins where there is no hard surface parking. He makes sure that he is the first to arrive and is then on duty, voila…

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

You think that thing will tow a plane on anything other than tarmac which is flat to 0.01 degree?

Noooo… I have a plan… you will all be issued with EuroGA stickers

Last Edited by Peter at 30 Aug 19:48
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Here’s a photo of the “GA apron” at Calvi:

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Bosco, that looks like hard packed sand.

EGTK Oxford

We were parked on this area in June and the surface presented no problems, very little loose material and no holes that I noticed, obviously don’t do your power checks here ……

Flying a Commander 114B
Sleap EGCV Hawarden EGNR

Have a good time all.

Note I still have 2 x rooms available to ‘switch’ to another name. See posting #122

Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

Been there, done that, got the 20000 quid prop strike and 3 months of downtime

That’s the nice thing about fat tyres and a tailwheel. Unprepared surfaces generally not so much of a problem :-)

Andreas IOM
Sign in to add your message