Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A fly-in in Jan/Feb 2015?

LFGZ has quite a mud problem after rainy days indeed.

Dijon LFSD IFR and Beaune LFGF paved runways provide nearby alternates.

LFLY, France

Beaune is nice, and the scenary around is nice too, with some WWII planes on the airport if I remember it correctly. Never been to Dijon, but why not try something new !

LFOZ Orleans, France, France

Shorrick MkII is right:

The Chateau is closed for renovation no?

Apparently the Chateau hotel which was right at East runway end seems to be out of business. Anyway it was very close from the motorway.
However it’s not a problem because there seem to be two nice hotels within 1km radius from each runway threshold:
Hameau Barboron
Clos Badan

Last Edited by Nestor at 04 Dec 15:01
LFLY, France

Hello everyone. Im new to flying in Europe. I normally fly between Budapest and southern Germany. What I have noticed is that in the winter especially in Bavaria there are few good VFR days. No matter when I fly I usually pick up ice (FL100) winter or summer so I try to find between layers if possible. A member posted:

achimha 02-Dec-14 16:35 #08
LOWI limits winter parking to oil billionaires.

I rather have a real winter experience with snow than lukewarm rain in Southern Europe… We tend to have stable high pressure areas in winter with very nice weather. I remember great flying trips.

Referencing the above comment, was it an aberration that the last winter was mostly IFR?

Looking at the approach to LOWI it appears to be a tough approach because of the high MSA around the airport and any Ice would be an issue. So I would feel much more comfortable with a VFR day. But how often does that happen? Your thoughts?

KHTO, LHTL

Welcome to the Euro GA Forum Charlie two-ten flyer !

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Hi Eugene, welcome to the forum

Quite often we have long term stable high pressure areas in winter which are great for flying and skiing. The biggest problem is that in most cases there is only tarmac parking and in sub-zero weather this requires a deicing strategy.

In the past I’ve been to Samedan (St Moritz/Davos) LSZS but that is almost unreachable for GA now due to currency requirements and very high fees. The German Alps have no airports unfortunately and in my view Austria is the best place to in terms of what’s available and value for money. You get the full “winter wonderland” there

In Austria I like St Johann (LOIJ) and Zell am See (LOWZ), mostly because they are just 40/50 min from my homebase and allow for great skiing. I usually do it in one day which solves the deicing problem of staying overnight. There are many more great places in Austria, like Schladming (airfield Niederöblarn LOGO). All VFR but that is an advantage because it usually means less protocol, security hassle etc and winter IFR in the Alps isn’t that useful anyway because of the very high MRVA.

Hi Eugene, welcome to the forum

Dude, you just blew his cover !

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Achim is right. Virtually all IFR airports in or near the Alps nowadays severely restrict parking for light GA between mid-December and and mid-April. I listed some of those restrictions here. I guess things are at least as bad this year.

Some of the VFR airfields offer hangarage for visiting aircraft. Zell does, Aosta does, etc. But it’s obviously a matter of booking in advance, otherwise when you pitch up, all place might be gone to other visitors.

Let me throw in another “skiing option” on the south side, Asiago (LIDA). While the airport has always been there, they have now finally got their act together. The airport will be open 7/7 all winter (snowsweeping!), they offer very cheap hangarage (12€ per night), and it’s high up in the mountains. No major ski resorts in the immediate vicinity, but some smaller slopes very close by.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thanks everyone for the welcome.

I already miss flying to Maine with the boys. From KHTO 1:45 mins to a VFR field 0B1 Bethel Regional. Meet at 6AM pack the plane and be in the air by 6:35 Land at 815 shuttle bus to mountain on the lift by 9AM. Of course leave at 4 PM with a night flight home with plane tucked away by 7PM.

After reviewing my options Ive decided to fly to Augsburg from Budapest stay in my apt in Munich then take the Ski train to Garmish for 45EUROS thats round trip including lift tickets. I think its a 2 hr train ride. Drink heavily on the way back cause the Alps are scarier than the mountains of Maine. Good plan no?

Although as Philipp mentions that LIDA does sounds interesting. I have wing covers for snow and ice. Do they have plug ins for Reiff/Tanis?

KHTO, LHTL
Sign in to add your message