Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A fly-in in Jan/Feb 2015?

Do they have plug ins for Reiff/Tanis?

R O T F L !

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Ive always had difficulty with French what is rotfl? Could not find it in my guide book “Paris for Lovers”.

KHTO, LHTL

what is rotfl?

not French not in Paris not even in Marseille or Perpignan

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

one prominent participant uses an icon for it:

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

That looks more like ROTFLMAO!

YPJT, United Arab Emirates
Do they have plug ins for Reiff/Tanis?
R O T F L !

C210, you really are new to Europe aren’t you??

Essentially the answer to every such question here is no.

EGTK Oxford

Hello C210 Flyer,
welcome to the forum. Your profile picture is small but I think we might have met at AERO this year. I’m the guy making those European in flight weather boxes…

Concerning your plan to do skiing day trips with the plane. I did some research on this myself and tried some options. In my personal opinion the best option is Samedan LSZS or if you are in for some excitement Courchevel LFLJ.

I watch out for a solid high pressure system. Most of northern Europe will be covered with low stratus but the valleys in the central Alps are so high this stuff will not enter and they have bright sunshine.

Both airports require special training or a mountain rating. Samedan is rather relaxed with a single flight with an LSZS current FI and then you have to have landed there every 24 month plus an easy online test every 12 month. LFLJ is much more complicated.

LSZS is kind of expensive. For a full day or one overnight in the winter you will be looking at around 190 Euro charges for planes up to 2000kg. But I think it is worth it. The slopes can be reached with a 5 minute taxi ride or a bus and if the snow conditions are right you can ski back to the village where the airport is and do a 10min walk to the plane.

The ski resort is also very nice. A one day pass will be close to 60 Euro but the place is not packed. You have nearly no waiting times at all while at other places you can end up waiting 30 minutes at every lift. And from a few places on the slope you can actually see your plane in the valley.

Even if you fly in great weather you should be prepared for some deicing. Some airports will offer services but it is going to be very expensive. So carry at least some equipment like a soft broom and a generous supply of car deicing fluid. Even if you need professional deicing take down what you can by yourself because they will charge you the volume of fluid used.

A few pictures from LSZS:

Last Edited by Sebastian_G at 18 Dec 12:19
www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Great photos Sebastian and helpful explanation

The question I have is how to go to such places if you first have to take a training flight locally? There seems to be a few airports that require this. The online test for local procedures I have no problem with.

Do you think the new mountain rating will be considered enough to bypass the practical check in future?

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

Thank You Sebastion for you welcome and your flying experience tips. But LSZS is out of the picture for me living off the $ unless the exchange rate reverses.

Its good to know that high pressure will result in widespread low ceilings in Europe. In the US we looked for highs as great flying weather. Of course there were always exceptions but 90% of the time. Ive experienced your statement now over the last year in Hungary and Bavaria.

I think my least stress plan of flying into EDMA and taking the Garmisch ski train will be a way of my getting my feet wet.

Thanks again for sharing.

Eugene

KHTO, LHTL

The question I have is how to go to such places if you first have to take a training flight locally?

Each airport is different. Often a mountain rating will do but that is quite hard to get and the French just told me you will have to repass a test every one or two years from now on to keep it

In the case of Samedan LSZS the easiest way is to find a FI who has himself been to LSZS in the last 24month and who is willing to come along with you for the fun and a free lunch. If you want to go head I might know somebody based at Mönchengladbach EDLN.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ
Sign in to add your message