Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

May 2014 EuroGA fly-in Mali Losinj LDLO

Oddly enough Pooleys still sells in the UK… I wonder what their USP is

Don’t know what should be odd about it. It’s a rather complete guide of all airfields in the UK.
The AIP doesn’t offer this – only licensed aerodromes.
Jeppesen doesn’t offer that either – in addition to the licensed aerodromes, it only has an abitrary selection of the non-AIP (=unlicensed) aerodromes.
It’s a fine thing. Remember, not everyone applies “I need hard runway, customs, avgas, ILS everywhere Iand”.

apart from not having any competition.

The AFE for one. I actually prefer it, because it lists even more aerodromes. Then there is Lockyear’s, which has quite a few interesting strips that are neither in Pooley’s nor in the AFE guide.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I am sure it was, given that fuel price today dominates the operating costs, which makes flying more expensive on the marginal (hourly, disregarding fixed costs) cost even if avgas has only tracked inflation over say 20-30 years, which will be emotionally offputting to most.

I once looked at hourly rental cost of airplanes in relation to average income, comparing the 1970s and today. It was almost the same, hinting that contrary to popular belief flying did not get more expensive. However, most things did get a lot cheaper in relation to the average income, most notably food and cars. In the 1960s the average German family spent about 40% of its income on food, today it is an all time low of 12%. If you compare the number of hours a Volkswagen worker has to work to afford a Volkswagen, you see the same development. In aviation you don’t, which is why people think it is expensive.

Last Edited by achimha at 30 Jan 15:52

(yes, because the typical german spends money on cars, and buys the cheapest food available and doesn’t care much about quality)

Re hotels, a nice one is Apoksiomen, which is right behind the two big boats in the pic I posted earlier.

Another very nice place is Mare Mare which is a few mins’ walk down the waterfront, but is small and quickly fills up.

There are of course many self catering places which always give much better value and more space to spread out in.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In case you have small (or not so small) kids, I can recommend the Vespera Family Hotel on Losinj. It’s the perfect place to keep kids and parents happy. There is a nice path through the woods to the Marina, about 20 minutes. The hotel has a very nice bay with a sandy beach — something that is very rare in Croatia. I usually go there twice a year for a long weekend with the family.

A very good alternate for Losinj is Pula LDPL, which has an ILS, customs, avgas, etc. and the city is really nice in itself. Loads of bars, restaurants, and the great Roman amphitheatre.

There are then ferries to/from Losinj but it’s not clear if they run before June.

To repeat: 23-26 May, Mali Losinj LDLO. We will put up a banner so everybody can see it.

Last Edited by Peter at 30 Jan 16:29
Administrator

I second the recommendation for Mare Mare and look forward to join you at the fly-in.

Since Losinj is only 1,5 hours flight time from Austria, it would really be a shame to miss it …

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

As even the best equipped planes and the most sophisticated pilots can suffer from unfavourable weather, hadn’t we better decide on an alternate date, too? The more so that (inevitably, of course) the primary date does not suit all interested.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I might not be able to make it on that date … (school holidays, family) … but I will try for sure. If we’re somewhere with the plane I’ll simply take two days off from the family :-)

A very good point about having a backup date.

We could certainly fix one, e.g. 2 weeks later (1 week later is the Socata fly-in) but I suspect very few will turn up to the backup meeting.

I am hoping that the four-day slot (23-26) gives enough leeway for having a useful meet-up on say the 25th (Sunday). It gives 3 different days to get in. Long-range IFR pilots will probably go on the 23rd. I will fly on the first technically flyable day, 23rd onwards.

Views?

Administrator
Sign in to add your message