Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A combined terrain + airspace warning solution, yoke mountable? (and Aera 660)

Peter wrote:

Also the 695 is huge for yoke mounting.

I used to think so too but I love it. It is about the same width than the 496 but much nicer to work with. Fits on the Mooney Yoke without a problem.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I flew to a military air safety day and a couple of nice chaps came up and asked if they could photograph my panel, which I innocently agreed to. My flying partner had clamped his Garmin to the Yoke in the fashion shown above. Next thing I know, in one of the air safety rags, is the picture of my panel under the headline “Portable devices compromise control freedom” or somesuch. Grrr…

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

Like Mooney_Driver, I also yoke mount my 695 and I don’t find any problem with it whatsoever.

The terrain and obstacle warnings are great…

• “Caution terrain ahead”
  • “Terrain ahead, pull up”
  • “Terrain terrain, pull up, pull up”
  • “Pull up, pull up”

I only know this thanks to the built-in simulator of course.

You are right that the airspace warnings are only a beep, but there is also an on-screen message informing you of the airspace and you can see it on the screen – it will only show airspace that you are close to (adjustable by a configuration setting).

In practice, I have found that it works very well and, dare I say it, as I haven’t bust any CAS yet, it works well.

EGTT, The London FIR

The 695, even if it did it all, is too big for a TB20. I know of one installation and it was horrible. It actually hit some instrument knobs if the yoke was fully forward. It also obstructs a lot of stuff behind the yoke.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I really wouldn’t want verbal airspace warnings through the headset. Terrain and Traffic only. They could be going off all the time. Maybe you just need Skydemon on a tablet if it will provide it.

EGTK Oxford

They would be going off all the time if you were on a Eurocontrol flight One would switch the device off then.

Doesn’t SD work on a phone?

Administrator

Skydemon does work on a phone, and it does have airspace and obstruction/terrain warnings.

I have SD both on an iPad and iPhone 6, but I only really use the iPad in flight (mainly because I’ve been too lazy to make an iPhone mount that attaches to my rear view mirror mount, and the iPad works better as a kneeboard than the phone does).

Last Edited by alioth at 22 Jun 16:42
Andreas IOM

Peter wrote:

The Q is whether all this stuff comes out on the 3.5mm jack

It does (well, it certainly does on iOS – not sure about Android).

and whether the app runs (and can be made to auto start) on a smartphone, landscape, without config steps after each power-up.

It’s two button presses (no possibility of auto-start). It works fine on pretty much any device of any size and in either portrait or landscape.

That’s a great bit of info – thanks Steve. What is the sound it makes on airspace warning?

Administrator

There are different sounds for different things. Most informational alerts are a nice crisp ascending chime thing. They cut cleanly through background noise but are not excessively annoying.

Terrain warnings are an unpleasant and invasive (surely deliberately so) ‘saw wave’ noise repeated three or four times.

Last Edited by stevelup at 23 Jun 07:58
Sign in to add your message