Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A few months ago (Mollis to Duxford etc)

@Peter: it seems blindingly obvious to me that, in cases like you describe, you will obviously have flown in without adequate preparation, and will pay accordingly.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

In the SwissGerman part everything is regulated to the extreme. So the weather can’t just “close in” without some sort of town council authorization at least.

So, let me ask the completely blindingly obvious Q: what happens if you land there and the wx closes in? Or you overdid the mandatory apres ski part and caught some nasty disease from a female ski instructor

Do they force you to unscrew the wings and pay for a trailer to take the plane out of there? Same Q for e.g. Innsbruck, etc… Obviously I am being silly about removing the wings, so do they fine you if you cannot fly out?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Do you mean outside is not an option because of frost?

No because of regulations.

LSZK, Switzerland

There is only one big Hangar and apparently it is full most of the time and if not… expensive, about 50 CHF a night.
Leaving the Aircraft outside is no option.

50 CHF is not a lot if you come out with a clean frost-free plane.

Do you mean outside is not an option because of frost?

Administrator
Last Edited by ploucandco at 01 Jan 16:17
Belgium

Lovely trip report, and great photos. Thank you.

Oxford and Bidford

As i wrote… not my rules !

Can one fly to Mollis LSMF intra-Schengen e.g. Le Touquet (LFAT) to Mollis?

Officially not, might be possible if we tell the relevant people you want to do the LSZS familiarization.

Does LSMF have “Exit Customs” (e.g. Wangen-Lachen used to have when I went there in 2004).

also here officially not, local pilots can do it, but visiting aircraft below 2.5t not.

Is there really no overnight parking at all? How can anybody visit, other than a quick lunch trip?

There is only one big Hangar and apparently it is full most of the time and if not… expensive, about 50 CHF a night.
Leaving the Aircraft outside is no option.

Peter wrote:

Are there any beginner ski slopes (by that I mean no more than a standard ILS ) ?

yes there are in Elm oder in Amden (one chairlift only but nice views), but first they need snow !

Peter wrote:

Very tempting! My Annual starts on the 7th Jan and I have a funeral to go to before that (not mine, yet). So later in January.

far too young Peter….
Conclusion, i would skip this kind of trip until the Airport of arrival is a bit more customer minded…

Last Edited by luckymaaa at 01 Jan 12:57

Can one fly to Mollis LSMF intra-Schengen e.g. Le Touquet (LFAT) to Mollis?

Does LSMF have “Exit Customs” (e.g. Wangen-Lachen used to have when I went there in 2004).

Is there really no overnight parking at all? How can anybody visit, other than a quick lunch trip?

Are there any beginner ski slopes (by that I mean no more than a standard ILS ) ?

Very tempting! My Annual starts on the 7th Jan and I have a funeral to go to before that (not mine, yet). So later in January.

Administrator

How old is it? Was the diesel engine factory fitted?
I also plan to visit Mollis sometime. I looked into it some 10 years ago but it was military and apparently inaccessible (practically speaking).

Hi Peter,

as Tomjnx wrote it is a 2014 and factory fitted Diesel, it was one of the first DR401 (wider cabin). If it flys it is great, had about 3 weeks ago still 90% power on 11’000ft.
Only the take of performance is slightly behind out old Lyco DR40, but only until you get airborne ;-) and it flys with 75% about 125-130 KIAS FL85. But it is/was a long way until it is working reliable…..

Regardings Mollis, i gladly would welcome you here, but there are a few restrictions at least for the time being who might make it uninteresting to fly in.

- no Hangar (so no overnight stay! not my rules!)
- no Customs
- no landing aids (but 1800m concrete)

+ beautiful aera
+ close to lakes, mountains for hiking… similar to LOWZ
+ nice approach
+ still affordable hotels and restaurants
+ about 20Min walking to the train station with trains all 30Min. (but i gladly drive you there or to the hotel) Car rental is also possible, still would need to check were.
+ LSZS rated FI, so you could do LSZS familiarization with your aircraft from here, only about 30min flight.

;-) not to many negative points in the end ;-) …

Have a great 2016

Best regards
Lucas

Last Edited by luckymaaa at 01 Jan 10:31
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message