Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A generic Approach checklist

When in descent, I set the QNH when I first get it, then I always have a before FAF check which is:
- FAF altitude
- QNH
- Minimum
- MAP altitude
- next MAP WP, and so on for each next wp (OM check, minimum…)

For a climb, I switch from QNH to standard when I’m at or above TL.

LSGL

Peter wrote:

Obstacle clearance in case of an emergency soon after departure? (One would leave altimeter #2 on the QNH for that reason)

Complying with the transition altitude/level? (I have seen both views on that one, in IR training)

I think you answered your own questions

Further, almost all Sid’s are to an altitude, I recall bhx was an exception, catching many out.
As far a the transition level/altitude arguments, in the real world set what you are cleared to, 2nd/3rd alt set to QNH

Last Edited by PeteD at 29 Dec 23:12
EGNS, Other

Emmanuel wrote:

For a climb, I switch from QNH to standard when I’m at or above TL.

I get doing this if you are British and flying OCTA IFR without talking to anyone but if you are cleared to a FL, what is the advantage of waiting? In my view the risk of forgetting to change (which for me going to RVSM levels is a serious matter), far outweighs a return to base argument.

EGTK Oxford

JasonC: you’re definitely right. I switch to QNH anytime I’m cleared to a FL and terrain is not a concern anymore (in VMC)
I understand that for you, switching to standard as fast as you can is vital for RVSM, but in my Seneca, this is something I don’t have to think of

LSGL

Emmanuel wrote:

I understand that for you, switching to standard as fast as you can is vital for RVSM, but in my Seneca, this is something I don’t have to think of

Switching quickly is not the issue for RVSM, it is not forgetting to switch.

EGTK Oxford

Another reason the arbitrary and low TL’s and TA’s are a flight danger. Weren’t they gonna do the sensible thing and raise it to 18000ft sometime ago? What happened?

Am I the only one who thinks the TA is fine where it is? I mean, as long as terrain clearance is not a risk factor, of course. At least everyone flying above it is (or should be) on the same pressure setting.

EGTT, The London FIR

Finners wrote:

Am I the only one who thinks the TA is fine where it is? I mean, as long as terrain clearance is not a risk factor, of course. At least everyone flying above it is (or should be) on the same pressure setting.

I do. I don’t see any point in raising it to 18000 feet. That will only cause a lot of QNH changes without any substantial benefit.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Not really.

The jet traffic spends as little time as possible between 18,000ft and the ground, and typically would be using the QNH of the destination airport, just a bit earlier than before.

Most of the low-level VFR traffic is below the transition level anyway, so nothing changes.

The few aircraft that fly between 3,000ft or wherever the TA is and 18,000ft will hardly break the system, and aren’t going so fast that this would be a problem.

Biggin Hill

I use a paper checklist on the ground, then a FRIEDA kind of memory checklist while flying as a flow mechanism.

I remember this famous article written on AVWEB called “Throw away that stupid checklist”. It is here: http://www.avweb.com/news/pelican/182037-1.html

I have been sitting so often in the right-hand seat next to a guy going through his checklists to notice that he would forget several points. Or I would half way down the checklist drop my pen (on purpose) or ask a question and the pilot would skip several items.

EDLE, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message