Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A lot more female GA pilots in the US than in Europe

I would add :

• most pilots I know never open their car’s hood
  • men (generally, not all) are more inclined to do things “to know they can do it”, which explains some of the new PPLs disappearance
  • women (generally, not all) prefer interactive activities with their peers

We would solve many problems if flying was more social and welcoming.

Ani wrote:

I don’t have kids and I’m proud to say that I’m selfish and I’ll enjoy life the way I like it

It makes me so sad to read this.

LFOU, France

I think the (often discussed) argument for/against kids is exactly 50/50.

The two groups of people end up following largely different paths in life. Not objectively better or worse, but definitely different. Even your friends end up being different people, who in turn have different interests.

You also drive different cars

Without children:

With children:

I got divorced in 1999 and at that time could have started (or “acquired”) a second family. For sure I would not be flying had I done that, as I would never have been flying had I not got divorced.

In GA, and much else, the biggest “movers and shakers” are people with no kids, or people with grown up kids. Or people with so much money they can buy any level of child care.

This will obviously be a factor behind “women in GA” and “women in [lots of other things]” but why would it be a factor behind US versus Europe? Is child care superior in the US? Some (some) European countries, with very high levels of social provision (i.e. taxation), have high levels of child care, but no special GA activity level.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I am not judging anyone, and didn’t want to start a debate about kids.

Peter wrote:

The two groups of people end up following largely different paths in life. Not objectively better or worse, but definitely different. Even your friends end up being different people, who in turn have different interests.

That’s what we see among our friends. Two distinct groups with different priorities.

But when selfishness is a quality, I can’t see society lasting very long. At least, we should agree on this.

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 05 Apr 09:36
LFOU, France

Peter wrote:

This will obviously be a factor behind “women in GA” and “women in [lots of other things]” but why would it be a factor behind US versus Europe?

That is actually in line with the predictions of the gender equality paradox quoted by clipperstorch on first page: The gender gap in the US is still bigger than in Europe (e.g. according to WEF GGGP) and therefore it is more likely that women chose to pursue “male” careers.
Share of female engineering students is much higher in North African countries than it is in Scandinavia …

Germany

Jujupilote wrote:

But when selfishness is a quality, I can’t see society lasting very long. At least, we should agree on this.

Amen. Unfortunately solidarity is not much in fashion these days.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Yes; definitely. Women are more social

That wasn’t my question though. I wondered if women are more likely to chose activities that are more socially accepted, more mainstream. I think perhaps they are. This could explain the difference.

Boating is also a typical male activity. The guy is the captain and the owner. He use 1-2 weeks each spring making it ready for the season etc. But, at least in Norway, boating is extremely widespread. It’s probably one of the most mainstream and socially accepted activities of them all in Norway. So, lots of women are involved, I would think close to 50%. They are equally good sailors, they participate in everything. But, it is nonetheless the males who keeps the whole thing going by purchasing, fixing and maintaining the boats and all the necessary infrastructure.

My point is that, if GA was even remotely similar to boating in social acceptance, the percentage of women would also increase. But then, perhaps not, because boating is by itself an activity that is more social from the start.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
46 Posts
Sign in to add your message