Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

"Air Million" now covers most of Europe

I think you’re both correct!

IFR waypoints are not a problem for enroute stuff. In fact they are helpful to ATC enroute. But once you approch an airport in France VFR, they expect you to use VFR reporting points. That’s because they have predefined ways in and out for VFR traffic, and will send you along one of them.

I suppose from their point of you, it allows them to handle traffic is a standarised manner. VFR comes this way, IFR that way. They get used to it, and know the choke points instinctively.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

All the controlled airfields in Poland I have been to also have defined VFR reporting points and predefined sequences one is expected to follow when flying VFR. Some of them are also VFR holding points. One will often get a “shortcut” (i.e. Tower will allow a straight-in approach) but that is traffic / workload dependent. The “en route” waypoints are random, with some ARO officers requesting coordinates and others town names, but I never tried to use IFR waypoints. Something to try, I guess.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

I must say until now it was never an issue, but I do know always the VFR approach procedures for the airport. But even in France I got recently the question: do you want to fly the ILS procedure or do you want to come in VFR (when they know I am on a VFR flightplan) – my respons is than VFR, but even than they give you a shortcut and I flew non of the VFR approach sequence. When I call them and my next point is a VRP, I assume (and they) to follow the approach procedure. So my experience is they just think with you instead of letting you follow in all cases the procedures.

In Antwerp/ EBAW f.e., it depends on my own call, but if I ask for a nik3c departure, they always allow it. When I mention the VRP in my initial call, they will just accept it and sometimes chance the level. When my initial call for entering the CTR is from the vicinity of a navaid and I don’t propose myself one of the VFR approach routes, than they mostly offer a shortcut/direct instead of let me flying the whole detour of the approach procedure. For 360 and more, they wait until you are more in the vicintiy of the field.

Last Edited by Vieke at 07 Apr 14:50
Vie
EBAW/EBZW

I somehow missed this in the past, but run into their booth yesterday. The chart looked pretty fine, I check usually suspects ((like VFR route in Slovenia) and everything looked fine so I get The Alps one – as VFR situation awareness for IFR flights and as back-up for Skydemon for the few VFRs I make.

Second look at home discovered missing preferred /or even compulsory I am not sure any more/ VFR routing from LJPZ to Pula via Vrsar – but I had flown that some years ago so it might not exists any more, offical Croatian VFR chart has some broken links to check. So my question is obvious- anyone having any experience if these guys are actually capturing everything essential?

LKKU, LKTB

I find this very good charts, because they show all airspaces untill FL 120 I think. Most VFR charts go only up to about 5000ft. Also a lot of extra AD information on the chart, but you have to read the legend the first few times. I never had problems with missing information, but I also have to admit it is not my primary source for flying, it is always my back-up. Mostly my copilot is following everything on that chart.

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

Maybe for map+compass type of flying, but seriously how many people navigate using that and fly far enough to need a large area chart?

Here is one, although not anytime in any aircraft. But as boscomantico said, it is quite suitable for backup to a tablet based chart.

The UK is one of the few countries which publishes a nice VFR chart.

I liked some of the displayed information, but there is still something missing compared to the DFS or old Jepp VFR/GPS charts. It’s format is a bit unhandy, though.

Most VFR charts go only up to about 5000ft.

I have never seen one limited that low. Which ones are they?

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

I think the Air Million charts are good for keeping in the plane if you live or fly in a country whose police want to see a paper chart. According to reports, there are such places.

As to how many people actually fly with a paper chart on their lap, that’s a good question A lot less than 10 years ago.

I plan with a printed VFR chart and then print a plog out of Navbox, together with the very simple map which Navbox does. Then I fly with the “printed” VFR chart running on a tablet. But I don’t think anybody else does this anymore. The Air Million chart would be very good if it could be running on a tablet but I very much doubt they will release it electronically. One could buy one and scan it; I used to do that 2003-2005.

The French IGN charts were limited to 5000ft AGL until 2-3 years ago. Many pilots visiting France (myself included, c. 2003) thought that they could not fly above 5000ft Now they go up to FL115, above which France is generally Class D and you can’t usually get a VFR clearance. I guess the 5000ft reflects the requirements of that particular market. For VFR in France I use the 1:1M SIA charts.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

mh wrote:

I have never seen one limited that low. Which ones are they?

I have VFR charts with upperlimit 4500 ft (Belgium f.e.) going to 19500 (charts of Sweden). Also I have a few where I can’t find the limits (Italy and Denmark)

Last Edited by Vieke at 25 Apr 08:19
Vie
EBAW/EBZW

Peter wrote:

As to how many people actually fly with a paper chart on their lap, that’s a good question A lot less than 10 years ago.

As they should. But sometimes a GPS is plain boring :-)

Vieke wrote:

I have VFR charts with upperlimit 4500 ft (Belgium f.e.)

Ah, merci. I have only flown in Belgium with the DFS charts and they go to FL195.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

The CAA 1:250000 only go upto 5000 feet

Sign in to add your message