Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cessna T207A thoughts? (also other Cessna 2xx types)

Somehow I fell in love with this T207A ;)

Who is the best person for a Cessna 207 prebuy in Europe?

Concerning engine overhaul: supposedly the engine was overhauled in 2015 according MM Section 2-47 – Note 6. Is this sufficient for commercial use? Or does it have to be a “new” engine?

always learning
LO__, Austria

I don’t have a copy but I think you are referring to the Cessna Service Manual. This does not detail oh tasks but refers to OEM intervals.
If the OH was done by an EASA shop, then you have a Form One for the task. Box 11 must say OH. Box 12 must refer to Continental OH manual and any ADs complied with, and without relevant exceptions.
Authority will accept the engine for commercial operation based on this, current ADs plus compliance with any other items in your approved maintenance programme. The latter will refer to an OH calendar limit which will typically be 12 yrs and should be ok for your 2015 oh date.
Since you will use a CAMO I suggest you share evidence and plans with them in advance of purchase. I also suggest them and your part-145/66 maintenance to be involved in pre-buy.

Last Edited by Antonio at 28 Feb 08:59
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Snoopy wrote:

Concerning engine overhaul: supposedly the engine was overhauled in 2015 according MM Section 2-47 – Note 6. Is this sufficient for commercial use? Or does it have to be a “new” engine?

For many of these birds there does not exist something like a ‘new’ engine, production of many engine types ceased a long time ago. The only thing important is the age hours – for the legal side of commercial use, was it zero’ed? – the engine overhaul shop put on the Form One and accompanying papers. When transferring an aircraft from outside Europe, make sure the engine papers show a dual release Form One or equivalent, or you may end up in redoing it again for sole paper reason alone.

Really check the deep details of the OH done, check each part on the used parts list, question any ‘inspected and reused’ and built your personal opinion whether you are comfortable with this kind of OH! There are more shades of OH than you can imagine, so always be suspicious – stories of OHs surprises are legendary. If the papers say OH’ed and it is signed off with zero hours engine time, it will be legally ok for commercial use, which says nothing about your confidence in that specific engine.

Last Edited by at 28 Feb 09:16

Is this sufficient for commercial use? Or does it have to be a “new” engine?

In the scenarios where exceeding the 12 years is not allowed (typically, moving a plane to a new registry, or operating on AOC) I don’t recall ever seeing a requirement for a “new” engine. A standard overhaul is OK.

There is a separate debate which has been running for many years, concerning the manufacturer having the sole right to “zero time” an engine and issue fresh logbooks. AIUI this option is available because a “remanufactured” engine is assembled from a bucket of secondhand parts, each with an unknown time in service, so there was no “engine” as such before it from which the hours could be transferred No sensible buyer is going to attach any extra value to such an engine, compared with an overhaul done by a known reputable engine shop (of which admittedly there are very few in Europe; especially if you are looking for consistency in customer reports).

AIUI, independent engine shops can’t build an engine from a bucket of parts. Or maybe they can, if the bucket contains a data plate

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You guys are awesome thanks alot! I am learning so much from you!

EASA FORM 1 says:
Box 11: Repaired
Box 12:

Was it an overhaul or a top overhaul?
The advert says:
Engine TT: 2710h
Engine TSO: 146h
Last engine overhaul: 05/2015
Remaining time on engine: Until 05/2039

Question is if these values apply for CAT ops or only NCO?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

? 25 years TBO ? What type of engine is that?

AFAIK, Form One 11. ‘REPAIRED’ won’t necessarily set the engine hour counter, ‘OVERHAULED’ would be zero’ hours. What 8130-3 certificates came with the ‘repair’ (gives you an idea which parts were new on TOH) and what does the Maintenance Record show as Time since overhaul in the Release to Service document?

Last Edited by at 28 Feb 09:49

Continental TSIO-520-M (310hp)
Engine serial numer: 291620-R
Engine TT: 2710h
Engine TSO: 146h
Last engine overhaul: 05/2015

I find the 25 years TBO unusual as well…

always learning
LO__, Austria

‘OVERHAULED’ would be zero’ hours

I can offer a data point saying the opposite…

BTW, turbo engines need some extra due diligence in this scenario, due to their habit of eating exhausts etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Snoopy wrote:

I find the 25 years TBO unusual as well…

I agree, smells a bit. Continental lists the TSIO-520-M as TBO 1600 hours max.12 years (1400 for engine S/N < 1006000).

Yes, Turbo needs some special attention and DD, but no big deal.
Btw, my engine had an additional ‘REPAIRED’ at 4h52 SMOH (long story) and that did not zero the engine again.

Snoopy wrote:

Who is the best person for a Cessna 207 prebuy in Europe?

Quoting myself as the question still stands. Any recommendations for someone who could consult in this matter and conduct a thorough pre buy inspection?
Thanks!

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message