Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Four seat modern high-wing

a C170 perhaps? If you want to be landing in fields, removing the training wheel can be useful.

182’s, 172, maule, Wilga? (might use a bit of fuel though).

For modern, you could perhaps build / find a bearhawk 4 place.

or a glassair sportsman in tailwheel?
e:just read modern in the title. That does make it more tricky.

Last Edited by Off_Field at 17 Apr 08:58

Most of my flying is from grass strips in my Cessna 172N (160hp). I have a O320-2HD engine which is the only Lycoming that can’t take mogas, otherwise it would be perfect.

400m are sufficient if not fully loaded, 600m at MTOW are comfortable. Great for touring two up, camping stuff and full fuel.

The high wings are good for not getting wet when it rains and relaxing in the shade on hot sunny days. They also keep the night humidity off the tent set up beneath them. Wings also stay clean in muddy conditions since the wheels don’t throw up mud on the bottom side.

Just my two cents.

Happy only when flying
Sabaudia airstrip LISB, Italy

It’s low-wing rather than high-wing, but the Alpi Pioneer 400 could be a good option:
https://www.flypioneer.uk/pioneer-400

EGBJ and Firs Farm, United Kingdom

Beautiful plane with the 915 but not cheap .

Pegaso airstrip, Italy

Get a Helio Courier and be done with it.

AdamFrisch wrote:

Get a Helio Courier and be done with it.

Complete with GO-480

I think a Rallye makes the most sense, but I’m not a fan of new if it comes at a cost over old and well maintained.

“modern”, “affordable” – pick one!

If you don’t mind deeply unsexy, you could always consider the Beagle Airedale, which has a useful load similar to a Cessna 180 but will cost you about 1/10th the price (because they are deeply unsexy, and the performance isn’t stellar – I believe they were humourously referred to being “a bit of a dog of an aeroplane” when they were made)

Last Edited by alioth at 17 Apr 15:39
Andreas IOM

Snoopy wrote:

The idea of having a plane nearby in a „shed“ on some leased farmland and reducing the flying to, well, the flying, skipping airport security, bureaucracy etc…

I’m glad to see that more of us seem to think of this route, and realise that Flying should mean Freedom
You’re in the Graz area, so south of the Alps. Nonetheless, could you be caught out by longer periods of a swamped grass field?

Last Edited by aart at 17 Apr 15:53
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Snoopy, I thought you were on the verge of buying an SR20?

I thought you were buying a T207A….

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Your mission screams Mogas 182 (1975 or earlier). Buy a clean airframe and make it perfect. I have a 180HP Rallye, which is really a 3 place with full fuel and bags (LR tanks), but it’s not a mogas plane (legally).

Tököl LHTL
Sign in to add your message