Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Looking for a TB20

I suppose it might still have life in it but I certainly plan on doing 500 hours or more.. hence eventually I’m quite likely to need a new engine. Why not do it up front and enjoy the fruits of it is my thought process. Especially that its 3x the official lifespan.

On the TB20 posted most recently, you’d be well advised to fly it for a while first. You’d find that this is completely unnecessary, like overhauling an engine on a five year old car when you buy it. The engine is half way through its overhaul cycle and the next buyer may prefer to buy the plane with a runout engine.

With respect, I’m seeing a potential train wreck developing as a result of inexperience.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 14 Jan 16:09

Oh no I’m referring to G EGAG

EGKA, United Kingdom

Rami1988 wrote:

Whichever one you are referring to, it’s a moot point to discuss whether to overhaul the engine until you had it properly assessed, which implies it needs to be flown, too. G-EGAG does have an engine monitor, and if the owner has always pampered the engine, it may still be at its mid-life despite the figure of 1750 hours. In fact, if an old engine shows no signs of wear or damage, overhauling it may reduce its operational reliability rather than increase it.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 14 Jan 16:46
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

OK, sorry for the misunderstanding. In that case a common buyers strategy is to buy a plane with a runout but airworthy engine, discounted by the price of an engine overhaul, then fly it for several years ‘for free’ until overhauling.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 14 Jan 16:43

Whichever one you are referring to, it’s a moot point to discuss whether to overhaul the engine until you had it properly assessed, which implies it needs to be flown, too. G-EGAG does have an engine monitor, and if the owner has always pampered the engine, it may still be at its mid-life despite the figure of 1750 hours. In fact, if an old engine shows no signs of wear or damage, overhauling it may reduce its operational reliability rather than increase it.

My Cessna shared a hangar with G-EGAG from 2006-2019.
The TB20 was an infrequent flyer during this period : this may increase the likelihood that the engine will soon require overhaul.

EGCJ Sherburn, United Kingdom

Gasman wrote:

My

Gasman wrote:

My Cessna shared a hangar with G-EGAG from 2006-2019.
The TB20 was an infrequent flyer during this period : this may increase the likelihood that the engine will soon require overhaul.

Now, this is excellent intel.

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Yes indeed – the logs reflect that it hadn’t been flown for quite some time (but more recently it has). Last oil analysis results also weren’t ideal. Also it had damage history (prop strike with damage to the engjne mount) but advertised with no damage history. I was still happy to buy it but the autopilot was broken too so that ruined the deal sadly.

As for the N reg in Germany, it had a cylinder go bust a few months ago – one has to wonder when will the next one go bust..

EGKA, United Kingdom

Google on G-EGAG and you find some fun stuff. Very few photos – didn’t get around much. And they are years apart. It was D-reg once too – here. And here. For a comparison of a plane which did 2k+ hrs over 20 years, google say N113AC.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

JohnH may have some fresh information, also, as he’s doing his engine.

Bit late to this, I’m travelling at the moment. I’m using GAMA in Oxford, UK. The engine should be with them by now. They say about 7 weeks and the quite is for about £40K, plus VAT. Plus of course the cost of removing and reinstalling the engine. And “while we’re at it” another €8K or so for a prop overhaul.

Don’t have much else to say until I get it all back again, hopefully some time in March.

LFMD, France

And, UK to France, +EU VAT?!

Last Edited by Snoopy at 16 Jan 23:44
always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message