Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Looking for a TB20

I think it baloons a lot more than a pa28 that’s my main point. I had to push the controls a lot to stop it so just thinking how to reduce the need for aggressive control movements at such a critical stage of flight.

EGKA, United Kingdom

(The above posting wasn’t meant as a reply to yours but to my own posting.)

I have yet to master landing at least one type of plane. But what I have found not to be helpful is the kind of discussion going on in this thread. If you ask three people how you should fly an airplane and you will get at least three different answers. I had several familiarization flights with different instructors on new to me airplanes and almost every one wanted me to do something in a special way. Like set exactly 16" inches of MP or put the flaps out at a particular point of the traffic pattern and every one of your landings will be fine. All these are procedures designed to make the life of a pilot easier. But they are procedures designed for one pilot and not for one kind of airplane. They worked probably very well for the instructor on the right seat but not universally for the guy in the left seat. There is however a procedure specifically designed for every kind of airplane and thankfully it is written down in the POH. I suggest starting from there and then find out what small adjustments to these procedures work best for you.

EDQH, Germany

Fair enough – personally i find it very useful to hear about different pilots’/instructors’ point of view – helps create a more rounded picture and then i can do what works for me best and what i think is safest

EGKA, United Kingdom

I don’t resonate well with the term “ballooning”, in relation to how you fly the plane. It seems to me that when extending flaps you either have a nose up or nose down trim change that is immediately noticeable. So when you deploy flaps you first trim out the elevator force to hold a given speed, then you adjust power to hold the glideslope.

Rami, I find when flying the tb20 that if you trim for 120kt prior to extending the first stage of flap then no further trim changes are required throughout the rest of the arrival. From this trim configuration, extending full flap at 95kt you will just need to move the yoke forward as the flaps extend, it doesn’t feel like a “push” but maybe I’m just more used to it. If you’re having to push hard and trim down, you’re possibly slowing too much and trimming up too much prior to extending full flap.

You can then pootle down to the threshold at 80kt, very easy.

United Kingdom

Try dropping gear and first stage of flaps concurrently, the forces cancel each other out. Works a charm on RG Cessnas.

The TB20 does a little it of balooning in flap1 but a lot on flap2 so with flap2 you just need to push forward quite a lot, and it is always roughly the same amount so you just get used to it.

No need to reduce power.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I find when flying the tb20 that if you trim for 120kt prior to extending the first stage of flap then no further trim changes are required throughout the rest of the arrival

All that seems to say is that there is a nose up trim change with flap extension.

Yes; and you get a lot more lift suddenly; arguably happening too fast to trim out immediately.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The problem there would be a heavy elevator control, otherwise you’d just push on the yoke immediately to hold pitch attitude and retrim over a slightly longer period. Larger Cessna singles make this challenging because of very heavy elevator control as @172driver implies.

My plane has opposite, a strong nose down trim change with flap extension, which I think is less desirable. Fortunately it has a low elevator force and a very effective elevator trim wheel. So there is no need to retrim quickly, and when you do it only takes a quick 25-mm movement of the trim wheel to remove the stick force.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 17 Mar 16:45
Sign in to add your message