Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Looking for a TB20

On our 210 I find very little pitch trim is required for flap extension if you fly the right speed: flaps extension for each stage is accompanied by yoke pushing for a few seconds the slowly released as speed decays then you go back to neutral pitch force at a slower speed with no trim change. Reading the above it seems finding that sweet spot on the TB20 should be possible.

The 177RG does require some trim change but since pitch forces are much lower it is not that critical.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

The TR182 I flew recently was much heavier in pitch than a TB20

If you can fly a TR182, trim and yoke forces can’t scare you. The yoke is pretty much useless except for tiny corrections. You fly it by trim. And yes, it has a very substantial pitch-up when you deploy full landing flaps, You just get used to it. Push forward on the yoke with one hand while trimming with the other.

LFMD, France

The Partenavia P68TC also has a very strong pitch up when lowering flaps especially full flap. It needs a lot of force to get the nose down.

France

@172driver I forgot to mention that part, I drop gear and flap1 at the same time.

The TR182 I flew recently was much heavier in pitch than a TB20, with more trimming required. It was more stable in pitch too.

United Kingdom

The problem there would be a heavy elevator control, otherwise you’d just push on the yoke immediately to hold pitch attitude and retrim over a slightly longer period. Larger Cessna singles make this challenging because of very heavy elevator control as @172driver implies.

My plane has opposite, a strong nose down trim change with flap extension, which I think is less desirable. Fortunately it has a low elevator force and a very effective elevator trim wheel. So there is no need to retrim quickly, and when you do it only takes a quick 25-mm movement of the trim wheel to remove the stick force.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 17 Mar 16:45

Yes; and you get a lot more lift suddenly; arguably happening too fast to trim out immediately.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I find when flying the tb20 that if you trim for 120kt prior to extending the first stage of flap then no further trim changes are required throughout the rest of the arrival

All that seems to say is that there is a nose up trim change with flap extension.

The TB20 does a little it of balooning in flap1 but a lot on flap2 so with flap2 you just need to push forward quite a lot, and it is always roughly the same amount so you just get used to it.

No need to reduce power.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Try dropping gear and first stage of flaps concurrently, the forces cancel each other out. Works a charm on RG Cessnas.

Rami, I find when flying the tb20 that if you trim for 120kt prior to extending the first stage of flap then no further trim changes are required throughout the rest of the arrival. From this trim configuration, extending full flap at 95kt you will just need to move the yoke forward as the flaps extend, it doesn’t feel like a “push” but maybe I’m just more used to it. If you’re having to push hard and trim down, you’re possibly slowing too much and trimming up too much prior to extending full flap.

You can then pootle down to the threshold at 80kt, very easy.

United Kingdom
254 Posts
Sign in to add your message