Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

We bought an early Siai Marchetti SF260

NorFlyer wrote:

If we gather a group we could use our airport as a base and then I could arrange a round-trip through northern Norway and down the west coast ;-)

Would love to join in as well! Day-VFR, leaving from Rotterdam.

EHRD / Rotterdam

Hello friends. I’m having my morning coffee before heading to the shop to prime the fuselage

Cool that we have a few that’s interested in a fly-out/in to Norway. It’s a bit early making any fixed plans, but I would think that late summer, mid to late august, would be realistic with regards to covid (and taking the Marchetti on a longer trip ;))

I will start looking into what kind of arrangements that needs to be made and make a separate thread under “Meet ups” for us to discuss further. We could start making a preliminary plan (how far North do we wan’t to go?). I’ll air the idea to a few friends and aircraft owners as well such that we have room for those that are not able to fly in in their own plane, but want to join.

I’ll post a progress update on the Marchetti this evening.

Norway, where a gallon of avgas is ch...
ENEG

Soooo, this seems to have turned into a bi-weekly thread (at best), but there is a lot going on both on a personal- and business level. Whenever I sit down to post an update I realize I’m never going to be an influencer. Pictures are scarce. I have the best of intentions bringing GoPros and the lot, but doing actual work seems to get in the way of documenting the project.

Last week was a bit of catching up, getting the engine mount powder coated was an ordeal in itself. Apparently they used to drill holes in the tubing and filling it with linseed oil to prevent corrosion from the inside. Putting it in an oven at 250C apparently makes it seep out and catch on fire. Wife was pleased with the smoke and smell.

Final version of the panel was cut on the CNC, and a few bits and pieces coated and finished.

We have dreaded the painting process for a while now, postponing it and making excuses. Yesterday we finally got the primer laid down on the fuselage. The Akzo Nobel Aerospace epoxy primer paired with a quality Devilbiss gun made it fairly easy even for amateurs. I’ll elaborate more on the paint setup in a later post.

Topcoat should be going on before Easter. Till next time.

ENEG

So, no turning back with the color selection now, first base color is laid. It will be quiet for Easter now, but hopefully the accents and detailing will be done in a couple of weeks. Then we are ready to start assembly and get going on the wings. We have less than two months till first test flight, it will be cutting it close, but think it’s still possible.

Happy holidays friends!

ENEG

Awesome. For detailing, will you paint or use vinyl or a combination? Vinyl offers you flexibility in case of desired changes later, and the quality and choice of the material is outstanding nowadays. I would say vinyl will last 10 years easily in Norway’s not too hot and not too high-UV environment. Plus no doubt she will be hangared.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Project is looking amazing. Keep it up

Belgium

Thank you Spain and Belgium.

aart wrote:

For detailing, will you paint or use vinyl or a combination?

Most of the detailing will be painted. Purely because I feel like “doing it right”. The stencils/masks (Oramask) will be cut using the vinyl plotter and then sprayed. The registration and the mandatory “pilot name” will be vinyl ;)

I’d say having a heated hangar in Norway is mandatory year round if you want to keep your machine nice. 365 days a year we have fluctuating wx and temps through the day. This morning for example we have -2 degrees and a thick layer of frost on everything, later today we are going to see closer to +15 with a scorching spring sun. This is hard on all paints (…and acrylics, hoses etc).

ENEG

Love the stenciling. That spraypaint tent is cleaner than some surgery rooms in some places.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Nice work and I agree about painted details – it gives the impression of quality. What brand paint are you using? I notice the RAL color codes and wonder if you were able to order it to that color specification.

Silvaire wrote:

What brand paint are you using? I notice the RAL color codes and wonder if you were able to order it to that color specification.

We are using a brand called Lesonal (a division of Akzo I believe) and their HS420. A two component, high solids based polyester/acrylic topcoat. Reason for that is simply that this was the brand carried by a local dealer that could also mix to specific colors. Pricey, but covers nicely and seems durable. The paint is high gloss as standard, but we are mixing in a gloss reducer to make it semi-matt.

ENEG
Sign in to add your message