Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is the Jetprop the right plane for my mission? (and other high performance types)

Flyingfish wrote:

I would not buy D-FBRS at this turbine hours without the buyer picking up the OH cost…

You mean the seller certainly?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

This special Extra 500 is way too expensive.
Engine hours and the visual condition. I saw this aircraft quite often in 2019 at Extra in Dinslaken. Inside is heavy used, but outside is awful. One has to repaint the whole thing, it is looking like a crack cake!!

Sebastian S.
EDAZ, Germany

The Extra 500 always struck me as a bit off.

It successfully combines the high altitude performance of a piston engine [with an under-sized turbo] with the low-level fuel consumption and operating cost of a turbine, truly the worst of both worlds.

It simply needs a bigger turbine.

Biggin Hill

For me it is a further step of a SilverEagle. Not worth the high cost, the consequent improvement over SEP is for me the PA46 T or perhaps JetProp

Sebastian S.
EDAZ, Germany

But this is a really rare high advertisement situation

Sebastian S.
EDAZ, Germany

privateflyer wrote:

But this is a really rare high advertisement situation

Looking at these ads, at least half of them look like created by people who actually don’t want to sell the aircraft poor pictures, lack of good cockpit pictures, stating EASA reg while picture shows N-reg etc. And BTW all these look a bit overpriced but it’s just asking price and none of the JetProps has decent autopilot while asking price for some look like they have 0 timed engine.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

They were probably not enrolled in an engine program on that 500. I’m not even sure there is one for the Allison/RR, but maybe. Gearbox is on condition on those and I would estimate an overhaul at around $180K. So if you crank the numbers from a high end piston engine, the cost per hour is pretty much on par with he longer TBO.

Hello fellow pilots

(My intention is not to plunder the author’s thread, so if moderator wants me to open a new thread, let me know)

I have been offered the opportunity to take a share in a JetProp. I read many positive reviews about that aircraft here and there.
I think the JepProp would nicely fit my mission which is :
- around 80h per year, 50% for business 50% for leisure
- 300nm trip to 600nm trip most of the time, with a few trip over 800nm per year (would be for vacation so a stop isn’t a problem)
- tarmac runways but sometimes on 800m long runways
- high dispatch rate (for the business flights) and the comfort of pressurization is a must

The aircraft in question is N reg with Swiss VAT paid. The airframe is 4000hrs and the turbine is 200hrs (PT6-34). It is fitted with modern avionics and the price is competitive compare to other ones I’ve seen for sale.
The other owner is a long time pilot, who has owned a Meridian in the past. We would maybe be joined by a third person who is not a pilot and thus hire our own pilot (which for me is good as being low hours I need a safety pilot).

All in a all it seems an interesting opportunity. I can handle the hourly cost associated with flying the Jetprop and sharing the purchase will limit the capital exposure.
Sharing a plane is probably a good way to start ownership experience.

I will go for a demo flight next Tuesday, in the meantime I would be glad to get your thoughts about the above.
Also from PA46 owners, what do you think I must check in priority when I’ll see the plane? Of course if I move forward I will mandate a complete technical inspection, so my question is more related to avionics, AP (are there some better than other?), etc…

Thank you!

Last Edited by rschris at 24 May 10:35
Switzerland

Check out flycasey.com , he has good articles about the pa46 differences and need to knows.

Check if a heated windshield has been fitted. The -34 is a little cheaper from capex, running cost very similar.

I deem this a great opportunity by what you wrote!

Last Edited by Snoopy at 24 May 10:44
always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

Ch

Thank you Snoopy! Will have a look

Switzerland
Sign in to add your message