Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Icing: Mission gap between NA, TN, TC engines, HOT/COLD propellers, and CLEAN, TKS, FIKI wings?

I think it’s best to restrict the question on practical merits of each system described in my title to fly OUT of actual icing conditions (for flying IN icing conditions: FIKI is the answer), you can fly OUT by going up, left, right, down, turn back…away from ice, the reason climb is not an advised escape it’s not guaranteed to work and besides the worst happens right before tops (“if you see the light, hope is not a strategy”)

On “expected tiny 0.0001mm of ice”: imagine you are flying to destination at -20C in VMC on top of OVC clouds with temp > +5C, you are 100% sure to collect 0.01mm of rime ice from cold airframe on descent in that cloud (the cloud does not contain any super cooled water droplets and will have no icing forcast or PIREP from aeorplanes in cruise or climb), do people PIREP this form of icing? or declared MAYDAY to descend through? wait for air-frame temps to normalize? same thing when departing into shallow 1kft tall stratus bellow 0C with warm airframe on high climb rate, why would one expect airframe to ice on the first 10s? 1min?

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Feb 12:52
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

you are 100% sure to collect 0.01mm of rime ice

I don’t think you could even detect 0.01 mm of rime ice.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Malibuflyer wrote:

Malibuflyer wrote:

But let’s do a practical example: My IFR check ride last weekend. Perfectly fine weather with 5/8 clouds between 5000 and 7000ft. We started out through the clouds to FL80 picked up a bit of ice in the climb as expected, flew to destination and again in the descent again had some traces of ice.
Nothing to worry about and as my plane has operational limitation on ice nothing illegal.
We landed at the destination. On the way back we the very similar route and had to go through the very same layers of cloud.

Would you still argue, that this is not “known icing” as technically you can not know if in the same cloud 15 minutes later there is still ice? Really?

In France, where I did my IFR exam (in winter on a non de-iced aircraft in actual IMC conditions) the TEST went as follows. Brief the route, brief the alternate, brief the conditions, brief the pilots experience, brief the risks.

As part of brief the risks, Icing – question what can you do to mitigate. If we start picking up ice, my out is X…

Test validated. So clearly, within EASA when icing is forecast as long as you are clear on what your OUT is, it must be legal. In my book at least…

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

My revalidation takes place usually thr end of December or in January. My experience is basically the same as @ LFHNflightstudent although I do have an aircraft with TKS and I do also have to revalidate the MEP as well as the IR.

France

Has this been posted before?
Icing_flight_manual_pdf

France

https://www.flyer.co.uk/cessna-brings-back-turbocharged-182-but-no-fiki/

Cessna has a new piston back on the line at 600k$ but no FIKI?! it seems the only FIKI SEP aircraft are those built & certified between 2000-2010, a bunch of Mooneys, Bonanzas, Cirrus while anything else after seems to go with TKS including that DA50 at 1million price, is this the end of “FIKI SEP” certification for “new SEP”?

This coincide with when FAA has moved their operational rules on non-FIKI aircraft between 2000-2009 from “clouds bellow zero degres in non-FIKI” is illegal and NOGO to “don’t land with non-FIKI airframe full of ice in front of an FSDO agent or cause ATC mess”

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/agc/practice_areas/regulations/interpretations/Data/interps/2009/Bell-AOPA_2009_Legal_Interpretation.pdf

Last Edited by Ibra at 14 Feb 19:18

Rather than linking to flyer.co.uk (where mentions of EuroGA have been getting promptly deleted, including getting me banned which was totally silly ) one could get it from a better source

The single-engine Turbo Skylane will feature the Garmin G1000 NXi avionics suite, a heated propeller, and an in-cabin oxygen system. It is powered by the Lycoming TIO-540 engine and is equipped with a Hartzell turbocharger, giving the aircraft 235 horsepower at up to 20,000 feet.

A heated prop and a turbo is pretty good, even if not FAA-FIKI.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think you can put TKS on their wings by retrofit

I only flew C182 non-turbo with clean wings, it can take on s**y weather and land anywhere, I don’t think TKS or FIKI adds much to that airframe? but turbo & hot prop should definitely add a lot

It seems some pilots know how to fly them in real conditions? please don’t try this at home unless you are an experienced ferry pilot with 10kh in single pistons before making YT videos (flying in IMC OCAS without Radar on Basic Service due to ice is probably beyond most IFR pilots comfort zones, especially for someone from FAA land)

Last Edited by Ibra at 15 Feb 11:27

Sure; CAV do a 182 TKS kit. They probably sold a lot of them. I recall seeing a load of youtube videos showing the installation.

A C182 will carry a lot of ice though, relative to other types. I used to know one owner who said he landed with a good number of cm of ice on his (turbo model). Apparently it scared him to death, but it did fly.

Having full power (de-iced prop) is very important.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Not quite 10k in the C182 but know the type reasonably well. The Lycoming version while quieter, the lower RPM three blade makes them somewhat prone to propeller ice, so agree propeller anti ice would be a worthwhile option.

A well rigged C182 will deliver close to 150KTAS on 12 USGPH at FL090 which I always find remarkable given the draggy airframe.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message