Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Live-aboard aircraft

Not that bad…

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Maoraigh wrote:

A Scottish guy who made a fortune from software when based in California had a live-in office Cessna Caravan which toured worldwide. He had a professional pilot for when he was working. He also had bought a castle in Scotland. Last I heard he was in poor health.

Boyd is at the highest flight level of all now. He was a one-man party, who would show up at a five-star hotel with an old woolly jumper on and his credit card details written on a piece of paper. He used to have a little Asian female doctor scooting around on call, she would have to get a hire car and see if it would safely drive on the beach he wanted to land on. He would put the Cessna Caravan down if the hire car didn’t get stuck. Few will have landed a Caravan on Lundy, or flown a Tiger under the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Boyd Munro was one of those great characters who added to the fabric of aviation.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Any book on this figure?
Will be that guy in my next live

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

There was a Grumman Albatross in one of the hangars at KLBX (Brazoria County), a place we used to go to for dinner sometimes.

I always thought that would make a great live-aboard. I think Jimmy Buffet had one.

The only trouble with a live-aboard plane is you have to practically be a billionaire or nearly so to afford to do it. Something with enough room inside to do it is very thirsty and probably old and extremely maintenance heavy, and then there’s the cost of getting everything done to make it a live aboard with the approval of the local CAA. I think the Albatross uses something like 50usg/engine/hr of avgas (and probably a few gal/h oil).

Last Edited by alioth at 27 Aug 09:50
Andreas IOM

@alioth the youtube I posted was about a couple who turned an Albatross into an RV and flew around the Pacific. For some reason the link seems to have expired?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message