Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus SR20 info

Thanks guys.

That was the advice I was given pretty much from everyone I spoke to.

We will wait and see if something else pops up during the winter.

SR22 would be the ideal choice but they are so rare in the G3 model plus nothing decent out there for less the 150+vat

Also if somebody is interested I have a nice Cirrus model brochure for potential buyers, great little info in the dropbox link below.

Cirrus Buyers Guide

Evo400

your friend would not go wrong by investing a few $ here: https://www.cirruspilots.org

He’ll get more than his fair share of value from the forums within!

EGKB

Yes, i second that – COPA is really highly recommended. Buying an expensive airplane the $ 65 are really a good investment. Not only will have access to a lot of useful information, you will also meet a lot of nice people there.

While i would not have bought an “analog” Cirrus an SR22 with conventional instruments can be a very good deal, especially if you are looking for a good VFR or light IFR airplane. An early one might not have a glass cockpit, WAAS, “digital” autopilot, TKS, Air Condition, Traffic, Stormscope …. but it will still be a 185 KTAS airplane with good load and very good overall performance. Actually the ones without TKS are the fastest SR22s and the ones with the lowest maintenance cost.

Also today you can have many navigational features, approach charts etc on your mobile devices.

If you plan to use the plane in VFR weather mostly i would have a look at the G1s aswell. If VFR performance is more important than IFR flying then an analog SR22 with dials might be the weather solution than an SR20 with glass cockpit (which won’t have TKS either and is a two seater for touring.

boscomantico wrote:

1. engine TBO is in most cases not a legal limit
2. it doesn’t have 200 hours left to TBO. It is 200 hours past TBO.

Engine TBO is not a legal limit in most countries, that is correct. It can be if you want to transfer registrations or if you want to register in countries who are thinking otherwise.

I understand that in some places the TBO can be extended by up to 20 % which means 2400 hours for a 2000 hour TBO. In the initial post, 2400 hours is mentioned, so I guess that is what was meant.

boscomantico wrote:

On what basis do you say so?

My own experience and that of others who bought close to TBO or beyond.

I bought my plane with 2400 hours TSO and did the revision at 2500 roughly. The same went for two other planes I know who got sold on condition, they finally did the overhaul between 2400 and 2500 hours as the effort to keep it going was summing up. Both in my case and the others the engines started to have irregularities, which could have been fixed individually by putting new cylinders, new this and that, but this all sums up. Considering that, taking the decicion to overhaul is probably more cost effective in the end.

For that reason I am more than cautious if I read the line “running strong” for over TBO engines. Fact is, they WILL need to be overhauled sooner or later and this has to be taken into account when considering an airplane with run out engines. It is also quite open to see on Planecheck and other plattforms that LOTS of planes get sold in this state, which tells me that a lot of people do not want or cannot to do the overhaul and get rid of the plane instead. So I would not really encourage someone, particularly not a first time buyer, for such an adventure.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 07 Sep 14:04
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Flyer59

looking at the airplane Evo has posted and the issues it has, I wonder if the German one with the full Avidyne Cockpit, low time engine and prop for roughly 35k more would not be a better variant?

I remember you once wrote you would not go for an analogue Cirrus and I agree. Cirrus is a very modern airframe and I think EFIS is certainly more attractive.

What else is there in the fist edition Cirrus which needs to be known apart from the analogue cockpit?

The on-condition option is not available at a time of most registry transfers, which can come as a shock in some situations where you bought a plane which you cannot fly unless you transfer it.

I also agree that reports of stuff like 2500 hrs being perfectly ok tends to correlate with looking the other way when the oil is being changed etc, which is basically what a lot of GA does. There are exceptions but not many and especially in the private owner scene where 2500 hrs tends to mean many years over multiple owners and lots of ‘lost’ logbook records. A plane with 2500 hrs is bought ‘as seen’ with most other data being potentially suspect, due to the passage of time.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

AFAIK there is no such limit as 20% over TBO in Germany. As long as the engine is airworthy you can fly it.

Sometimes you can find a good deal because the engine is close to TBO, but still runs ok, and then it’s a simple calculation …,

I for one explicitely wanted the glass cockpit and all the bells and whistles too, but that’s just me! I can well understand if somebody doesn’t care and wants a fast modern airframe and the chute but doesn’t care much about the glass cockpit. Also it is possible to upgrade a G1 later with an Aspen for example …

The very early G1s might have a 4 point engine mount, a more basic autopilot (S-TEC 30+), no leather/worn out/faded interior or the door locks might have issues, but much of that can be fixed.

What IS true though: Don’t even THINK about a basic SR22-G1 and later upgrade it to G2/G3 standard! TKS cannot be retrofitted, and to install a complete avionics upgrade is, like always, much more expensive than finding a G2.

I think this is a good 20. Price is probably negotiable, a bit should always be possible …

http://www.planecheck.com?ent=da&id=23647

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 07 Sep 16:24

Flyer59 wrote:

I for one explicitely wanted the glass cockpit and all the bells and whistles too, but that’s just me!

Would be me too.

Don’t know if the SR20 actually has an STC from Aspen. With the very limited airplanes which are non EFIS it might not be a very interesting proposition.

What I see a lot are pre-EFIS Cirrus with the Sandel HSI as well as the 55X AP.

Flyer59 wrote:
I think this is a good 20.

Yea, that one is neat!

I think this is a good 20. Price is probably negotiable, a bit should always be possible …

http://www.planecheck.com?ent=da&id=23647

But only if you want to fly solely VFR…….

EDL*, Germany

the DFC90 A/P is a dream, if can you find a machine with one fitted, it works great.

DMEarc

Sign in to add your message