Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus SR20 info

Aviathor wrote:

What are the climb rates typically observed above 12000 feet?

Roughly 300fpm

Aviathor wrote:

How much fuel do you burn in the climb?

Roughly half an hour at on average 12USG fuelflow; engine derated below ~F080 to keep temperatures way below max

Aviathor wrote:

How does ATC like those climb rates (IFR)?

Not much of an issue. ATC far more cares about climb rates from airport elevation to MRVA than above, because that is the time you block the SID; above MRVA they can shuffle you out of the way.

If you can’t make it when the MRVA steps up, they just give you delay vectors; or they let you continue temporarily VFR. In busy airspace (like departing Augsburg westbound through Munich airspace), they just frequently give you altitude restrictions, but lift them again before you actually reach them; so you just have to be a bit attentive on the radio.

Aviathor wrote:

At such altitudes (14-17000 feet), could you possibly be subject to a mountain wave

If there’s a strong pressure gradient, then yes.

Aviathor wrote:

how would you deal with that? I suppose your performance would force you to bite your teeth and ride it out?

yes. ATC is quite used to it, though. They can give you vectors along the lowest MRVA, or they can let you continue VFR (but still keeping you “in the system”, giving you traffic info, etc), they’re quite used to it.

LSZK, Switzerland

achimha wrote:

Could you elaborate please?

It’s been a hot topic here.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=128991

Browsed through it yesterday, it apparently happened twice on the same aircraft.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

In my view, the SR20 has a max ‘reliable’ altitude of FL100. FL120 is a serious struggle. I’d be interested other opinions but there is a power deficiency in and around these altitudes.

LeSving wrote:

It’s been a hot topic here.

Well, reading more than the headline shows that this was a very specific and exotic issue and not a general issue on SR20s that pilots should be concerned about. Who has A/C in a SR20 by the way?

After a two hour flight with the new mags, the engine became rough and upon inspection, several teeth had been lost on the mags!

A mechanic in Florida found what he thought to be the problem. The airplane has air conditioning and the drive pulley has two rubber cushions to soften the engagement torque of the a/c compressor, when it’s engaged. the rubbers are 7 years old and not soft anymore. The jarring of the accessory gears as the compressor is engaged, causes the backlash that damages the plastic mag gears!

So they went out and flew several flights without engaging the a/c compressor and examined the mag gears…no damage.

They flew a few more times and engaged/disengaged the compressor and came back and found damage to the gears in the mags. The cushioning effect of the rubbers in the drive had hardened with age and seem to be the culprit!

There is no Air Condition option for the SR20, AFAIK there has never been.

The mentioned mag failure … i don’t believe in that explanation, because it is the only case i have heard about.

My 22 has A/C AND the 4-blade prop, no problems yet.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 09 Sep 09:57

DMEarc wrote:

has a max ‘reliable’ altitude of FL100. FL120 is a serious struggle.

agree, I would not plan anything above FL100. You can make it to FL110 or FL120 after while but this is not what the aircraft wants.

LKKU, LKTB

Agree. Flying alone you can reach FL150, but it’s not much fun, and with a higher load it takes forever …

@Flyer59

The 06 SR22 we looked at has stainless leading edges and De-Ice tank on the left hand side. (I tough that was FIKI, hmm..Slowly starting to realise how many extras this machines come with. )

Yes we have test flown an SR20 G2 GTS a few weeks ago, it was great, but I did think performance were a bit on the low side.

We were full of fuel and 3 POB, nothing else. Climb rate was very poor and that was pretty much on a standard ISA day.
Upon reaching 3,000ft we were cruising in around 145+/-kts, think that was around 65/70%?? i cant remember now.

Here’s the video I recorded if anyone wants to see..

Evo400

These panels you saw are titanium – the TKS system! But a 2006 is not FIKI just regular anti-ice

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 09 Sep 13:10

Michal wrote:

DMEarc wrote:

has a max ‘reliable’ altitude of FL100. FL120 is a serious struggle.

agree, I would not plan anything above FL100. You can make it to FL110 or FL120 after while but this is not what the aircraft wants.

This is my experience also with a DA40-180 @1070kg (MTOW 1200 kg)

The POH states a service ceiling of 14000 feet for N-reg or 16000+ feet. Don’t really see how that would be possible unless you are really light.

LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message