Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Bonanza operating cost

I have owned an A36 since new in 1973. About 4800 hours now. Third engine. It has been very reliable, very easy to fly. You should be shown the spiral dive tendency, that is the price you pay for the excellent manoeuverability. I fly LOP since about 1997 having been one of the dirty dozen of Gami testers.
I also fly my friend’s A36 with IO550 turbonormalizer. He has more speed and rate of climb, 4000lbs gross weight, I have lower fuel flow and greater economy.
The early 70s models are lighter and can carry more. No being married to a Garmin G1000 is a plus, not a minus in the long run.

EBKT

what do you see in terms of speed and fuel burn at your lop cruise?

When not in a hurry I plan for 155 ktas at 46l /h.

EBKT

I agree with @dirkdj.

EDDS , Germany

My friend used to have a Mooney 231. Trying to fit one electric motor of about 60 kg via the baggage door was enough to convince him that he needed something else. There were also major problems with the engine. After one flight in my A36, LH seat, he looked for an A36. A 1978 model was found in Germany. It was OK but needed some updates. In 2003 we went to Ada, OK, USA to attend the APS course and took one extra day to talk to George Braly and test-fly the A36TN.
The Turbonormalizer with a Powermaster IO550B, Super Scimitar prop and large O2 tank were ordered on the spot.
This was before EASA. It was the first TN installation in Europe, they sent over a DER to help with the installation. After a couple of years a full TKS was added.
After almost 14 years of flying, this aircraft has been trouble-free airframe and engine wise, some electronics and instruments needed care but nothing unusual.
I have taken it to FL 210 and saw 210 KTAS, we mostly fly upper teens in GoFar mode.

Last Edited by dirkdj at 26 May 09:08
EBKT

I plan on 190 KTAS at FL180 and 16.0 US gph.

Before the engine was turbo-normalised I used 160 KTAS/FL100/12 US gph.

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

Thanks for the updates @dirkdj @eddsPeter and @chrisparker
Good and useful input.

I plan for 160 KTAS @23 MP and 2300 RPM, which means a fuel flow of 49 L/hour or 13 USG/hour. This is after the lean find with the EDM.
I can do 47 L/ h or 12,7ish G/h, but the engine is a bit rough then. Everything above 50L makes my cylinders hot right now which is why I have a visit next week to a guy who looks a the baffling.

Hope that helps.

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

You may want to take a look at the LiquidAir baffling by GAMI. My friend has it in the A36TN. It has the ‘hole-in-the-wall’ to keep #6 cool. George Braly, the designer of GAMIjectors, LiquidAir, PRISM, G100UL unleaded fuel and Beech and Cirrus Turbonormaliser will be at the APS Engine Management seminar in Kortrijk end of this month. He runs the most comprehensive aircraft piston engine test stand known to man.

EBKT

EuroFlyer,

The first thing to do is to switch spark plugs. I went from Champion fine-wire to Tempest and the difference is considerable. It has to do with the internal resistance of the Champion spark plugs, making it harder to spark in lean mixtures.

Baffling is very important for long engine life. My cylinders rarely get above 330°F CHT.

Last Edited by dirkdj at 02 Jun 03:34
EBKT
Sign in to add your message