Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Bonanza operating cost

Indeed; a search on “resistor” here digs out threads about the Champion spark plug resistor fiasco.

They changed the construction some time ago but I don’t know if they went to a fixed value resistor like Tempest use, or retained the flakey silicon carbine pellet which caused all the trouble.

I always flew with fine wire plugs but changed to Tempest too. They seem to last for ever. IO540-C4D5D.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks, will check !

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

I was browsing plane check again today and stumbled over this F33A Bonanza:
http://www.planecheck.com?ent=da&id=24536
I know very little about buying/owning aircraft yet, but this seemed like a good aircraft that is not too old for an ok price to me. At least it is one of the few Bonanza s Beat my future budget that is not twice my age.
Why are the F33 ones significantly cheaper than the 35 or 36 models?

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

AFTT (air frame total time): 14.840 hrs (for comparison, mine has 1300)
Engine: IO-520-BB – Appr SOH: 2000
It’s actually not cheap at all……

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

I know very little about buying/owning aircraft yet, but this seemed like a good aircraft that is not too old for an ok price to me. At least it is one of the few Bonanza s Beat my future budget that is not twice my age.
Why are the F33 ones significantly cheaper than the 35 or 36 models?

This is an F33A, not an F33. There were only 20 F33 ever produced and they have a small engine. This aircraft was used by Lufthansa as a training aircraft and has a very very large number of flight hours. It was also involved in a gear up landing. These factors are why the price is what it is.

As a general rule the F33A of the same year as a V35B will command a higher price. The A36 is hiegher than the F33A. F33A continued production until 1994, the V35B until 1982, and a variant of the A36 is still in production as the G36. 1984 and later A36 carry a premium because they eliminate the throw over yoke and have more usable panel space.

KUZA, United States

Saw the gear up landing but not the high hours somehow. Thanks for the explanation guys.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Just spotted this one at Jersey aeroclub EGJJ:

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The Lufthansa planes, because they were meant for training, weren’t ordered with Autopilots. Originally the factory APs in the Beech Bonanzas were King, mosty the KAP140, KFC150 or KFC200. The S-Tec has been put in after decomissioning from LH. God knows why it was a gear up landing. It’s not hard to manually deploy the gear in the Beech, but well… shit happens. The Beech is generally a very sturdy plane. But 15.000 hrs…. is a loooooot.

As Peter said, this is a very early F33. The F33A has been a very successful and still sought-after plane, and a good model normally would come not much below 200k EUR. The earlier V-models are all fine, pretty slick, fast, sturdy, and if all the SBs have been done (such as the tail reinforcement) they’re absolutely fine, but cheaper as the straight tail models because they’re older.

All the models with a “6” in the numer (A36, G36) have six seats. They’re a bit heavier, usually about 5-10 kts slower, but with bigger useful load. And more expensive, because they’re just offering a tad more airplane. And more weight and airframe and therefore a bit more fuel compared to the 4-seater.

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 13 Jun 19:49
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany
Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

A twin means: double engine maintenance, double fuel. I am thinking about the twin, but only if I find a well maintained pressurized Baron. Because, a twin only makes sense if you fly high, and IFR, and then you need a pressure cabin. If not, a Seneca or a twin Cessna, or a Malibu do the job as well. There are single engine turbine Bonanzas but they’re not pressurized, which is a concept I will never understand. Beech unfortunately never produced many twin engine pressurized Barons, unfortunately. They’re great planes.

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 13 Jun 19:56
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany
Sign in to add your message