Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flight Design Bankrupt (and restarted)

The F2 will qualify in Europe under CS-23 regulations or the expanded 600-kilogram ultralight rules. The company plans to deliver the first U.S. F2 to a customer at EAA AirVenture.
It’s available with either a 100-horsepower Rotax 912 iS engine or, for the European market, a 141-hp turbocharged Rotax 915 iS engine.

How can it be certified with the iS engine when this engine has no engine driven pump? Is CS-23 changed?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Flight Design seem to be up again.

Presumably somebody bought them from the administrator.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

So does Flight Design Germany claim that it is FD USA which has not paid them? Or who?

Looks like another case where a rather successful aviation assett has managed to go bust due to inept management?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

The link describes total sales per aircraft type across the SLSA fleet, all years since inception. It might be useful to read it before commenting, or my posts that quote the link, or both

Silvaire wrote:

Flight Design continues to rank first, with a total of 372 aircraft sold, or 13.4 percent of the fleet

372 total Flight Design CT aircraft delivered in the US by the end of 2014 is consistent with your estimate of 400+ today. Industry data quoting that number says Flight Design aircraft flying in the US represent something like 10 or 15% of the US SLSA fleet, they do not represent a majority of the US SLSA fleet.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 24 Feb 00:04

Silvaire wrote:

uoting from the same March 24th, 2015

You are missing the point…I said total flying fleet, not one years of sales.

USFlyer wrote:

Cub Crafters is doing well…but they have FAR fewer SLSAs flying than Flight Design. Same for the just introduced RV SLSA.

Quoting from the same March 24th, 2015 link that I provided as a reference: “Flight Design continues to rank first, with a total of 372 aircraft sold, or 13.4 percent of the fleet, and CubCrafters takes second place, with 326 aircraft delivered” At that time Flight Design was starting to slip behind in deliveries, with other SLSA manufacturers gaining, Cubcrafters in the lead.

Based on those well publicized and widely known numbers, it is inaccurate to say that with 400+ FD CTs in the US as of today (which may or may not be true) that within the US, Flight Design manufactured SLSAs are flying in numbers more than all other manufacturers combined. That is nowhere near true, and paints a ridiculously inaccurate picture to those reading who don’t live in the US.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 23 Feb 22:46

Peter wrote:

So FD US owes money to FD GMBH for planes they bought, and FD GMBH owes money to FD US for making them saleable – have I got that right?

Where do you derive that? FD GmbH is screwing Euro customers. US customers are being protected by FD-USA.

Silvaire wrote:

That’s inaccurate. Cubcrafters by the end of 2014

I said overall flying…over the past 10 years. Cub Crafters is doing well…but they have FAR fewer SLSAs flying than Flight Design. Same for the just introduced RV SLSA.

Last Edited by USFlyer at 23 Feb 21:50

So FD US owes money to FD GMBH for planes they bought, and FD GMBH owes money to FD US for making them saleable – have I got that right?

DeLorean, anybody?

In normal commerce you cannot offset debts, but it’s a tricky situation because if the debt is settled in one direction and then the remaining debtor vanishes…

There was a similar situation between Socata and Air Touring where AT obviously bought planes from Socata, but also AT had a claim against Socata for warranty work. You can get a similar situation (with warranty work) in the motor trade but cars don’t normally cause huge warranty work overruns.

I would not have written this bit though

Did we see it coming? Yes, as we’ve been working with the company for a long time we witnessed the slow decline and tried to help raise investment capital for more than two years.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

USFlyer wrote:

The FD CT has more SLSA flying in the USA than all other SLSA makers combined, some 400 plus

That’s inaccurate. Cubcrafters by the end of 2014 had sold a few less than Flight Design in total, but was selling more in recent months and years. Same for Vans RV12 Link

24 Posts
Sign in to add your message