Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Bonanza Turboprop - is it good?

carlmeek wrote:

I shall continue dreaming….

On a turbine you want a pressurized cabin. I co owned a Bonanza and it was a fun plane but it simply makes no sense to turn it into something it was never designed to be, especially at huge expense.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

AdamFrisch wrote:

In the US no need for type rating, but I think in EASA land you do need one.

No – it’s class rating SET.

Germany

Malibuflyer wrote:

No – it’s class rating SET.

But which one? There is not a single SET class rating.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

But which one? There is not a single SET class rating.

BE36TC-SET – it’s not even HPA.

Germany

The so-called “SET class rating” in EASA is effectively a type rating, the only difference is that as single-engine single-pilot class rating it gets revalidated every 24 months. There is no SET class rating that is not specifically limited to a particular set of types of a manufacturer, and there is no cross-crediting between different SET ratings, they all need individual revalidation.

The list of available ratings is published by EASA here

I do not know if national authorities can create new ratings – the list of ratings is not in the regulation (part-FCL) itself, only in the guidance material and AMCs.

Edit: @Malibuflyer found it first, the BE36TC SET rating is on page 10 of that list, so it exists.

Last Edited by Cobalt at 23 Dec 10:39
Biggin Hill

You need HPA, the exam credit for which is obtained via

• the 7 JAA/EASA IR exams (not the CBIR subset 7 exams)
  • any ICAO ATPL written exams, regardless of any flight training (I missed a chance to sit the FAA ATP written exam, in 2006, for $90!)

or you can do an HPA course; I vaguely recall CATS do one; no idea if it is done remotely.

Just remember that the TP conversions tend to shrink the range from the piston version. You also get Vne set to the top of the yellow arc, or something like that… Vmo?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The funny thing is that they call it

ModelG36
with turbo-prop engine (Bonanza)

although most (if not all?) such conversions are not in G36 Bonanzas. Maybe the G36 doesn‘t even qualify for the STC, don‘t know. Here is an introduction to the two conversion options; I guess the Allison/Rolls-Royce conversion (STC now owned by Soloy) makes a bit more sense, as the engine is less thirsty.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2015/january/pilot/t_ql

Last Edited by boscomantico at 23 Dec 11:04
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Malibuflyer wrote:

BE36TC-SET

So there is actually a class rating just for converted Bonanzas. Wow.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

If there wasn’t, there would be no legal way to fly one in EASA-Land, as it is not covered by any other rating.

This dates back to JAR-FCL. JAR-FCL 1.215 specified that “Class ratings shall be established for single-pilot aeroplanes not requiring a type rating as follows: … (4) each manufacturer of single-engine turbo-prop aeroplanes (land)”.

In EASA PART-FCL, the class ratings are no longer part of the regulation and EASA could do whatever they want, but they of course inherited the old list and built on it. In practice, there are also separate class ratings for fundamentally different types of the same manufacturer (e.g., Pilatus PC-7 and PC-12 have separate class ratings), so really the SET class rating has evolved into a type rating with 24 month validity.

Last Edited by Cobalt at 23 Dec 11:21
Biggin Hill

or you can do an HPA course

HPA is just a course completion certificate issued by an ATO. Can be done distance learning. No hassle and quick.

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message