Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Bonanza Turboprop - is it good?

Yes. Part 91 you do need to do inspections, but not overhauls. As for gear overhaul, if it’s an SB, don’t need to do it. If It’s an AD, you do. Not sure how it’s worded for the King Air. But as an example, on the Piaggio P180 Avanti, the gear was $250K to overhaul every 12 years. Until someone got clarification form FAA, part 91. No need. Just need to inspect. That’s a pretty huge saving.

Another example – Hartzell wants you to overhaul my props on the Commander every 6th year. My props are brand new – like less than 100hrs on them. Makes zero sense sense to overhaul them, which means grinding them down (you only got 2-3 grind downs before the blades get rejected). It’s an SB. No need to comply, I can just inspect. Saves about $12K. But you need to fight the maintenance facilities on this and know the regs. They’re so used to part 135 or big operators, they don’t even know the rules – they just overhaul or comply with the manufacturers recommends without questioning.You have to educate them, or else they’ll always go for the most expensive, vanilla option.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 01 Jan 10:28

You have to educate them, or else they’ll always go for the most expensive, vanilla option.

Same same in EASAland

always learning
LO__, Austria
52 Posts
Sign in to add your message