Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Extra 400

Your concerns are spot on terbang. I have been through the pain of removing both exhaust lines as a helper.
On the TSIOL 550 , there is a huge one-piece heat shield (actually built from a number of smaller stainless steel parts riveted together).
Now I know why the rivets keep getting ripped out.
There’s no way to remove the exhaust without trashing this part.
Bend it, twist it, push it, pull on it, massage it, or you will never see, let alone reach the nuts that hold the exhaust in place, specifically the inside ones.
Even simply removing the lower spark plugs conflicts with this part, btw…

I was fortunate. to have the new exhaust installed recently, so the nuts were not hard to unlock.
But my engine did have a broken stud in the past, which grounded us for a week, until “they” got hold of the special tool to extract its remains.

So yes, removing the exhaust implies a risk, but if you do it on a regular basis and lubricate/torque correctly, the bolts won’t melt in place and paradoxically the risk of breaking a stud will become manageable – I think…
Apart from that, by removing the exhaust you’ll see if/what damage this nasty heatshield is doing.
Mine has managed to cut through a valve pushrod tube as we just found out!
And this is despite repairing it and doing our best to keep it sitting right at every occasion.
I remember complaining to my previous shop in Germany about a rattling noise I heard coming through the pressurized air intake and they dismissed the cue…
Not sure all other Conti’s have it, but if yours does, you’re warned! Check your exhaust shields and make sure they sit as perfect as possible. If in doubt remove and inspect for hidden damage caused by the rattling of a loose shield part.

So yes, despite the related risk, I am following Antonio’s tip, and very thankful. Already told my shop we’ll do it at every annual (about 150 hours).

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

I agree: inspecting lifters is moderately invasive and perhaps the decision needs to be made on a case-by-case basis.

If you are on oil analysis and carefully inspect your filter, and knwo exactly which items in your engines are causing symptoms, then depending on your mission, you can use it to trigger the inspection.

For example, if you fly frequently, then iron in the filter and/or analysis may come from the lifters, but if you have not flown for a month, it may also be a bit of harmless cylinder wall corrosion, how could you tell? IN general frequent use helps with those diagnostic tools.

IN my case, I have a 50-hrs AD inspection on the exhaust and it comes off every 100h for full lubrication. Ours is an expensive system and I have found out if not taken care of, it will crack. If frequently lubed with antisieze and correctly installed without pretension, nuts and bolts replaced before they corrode solid, etc, then it holds up perfectly well.

Exhaust and induction removal is most of the invasion in our case, and I’m there most annuals anyway.

Also in our case, if you are clean, tidy and systematic with removing pushrods, rocker arms and rocker shafts, the trickiest part is the proper installation of pushrod tubes so that they do not leak. We now have the hang of it and the associated risk is low. I believe @Flyingfish’s TSIO550 is similar (is it crossflow or otherwise updraft induction like ours?) , but @Terbang’s TSIO360 is different so it is perhaps easier on those tubes?

So, bottom line: yes our maintenance is typically rather intensive and invasive but it has to be done anyway for other reasons so lifters do not add up that much labour or risk, and definitely inspecting them helps with our bottom end getting to TBO…fingers crossed!

Last Edited by Antonio at 20 Dec 08:13
Antonio
LESB, Spain

I’d guess some on this thread may be familiar with this Extra 400.. Looks to have had all cylinders replaced 80 hrs ago, 268 hrs on the prop since new. Donated to charity and out of annual. $210K.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 22 Dec 16:23

Unsellable!

Sebastian S.
EDAZ, Germany

What is the reason why it is unsellable?
Merry Christmas to whole this very interesting and professional forum

LIMF, Italy

If you buy it, your a sitting in a museum. The major spare parts are gone, for example the engine crankcase, I have got the last one, there aren’t produced anymore. The pressure container for the liquid medium (9000€) is sold out at Extra, the oil cooler is out, the company which produced the pressure valves for the cabin doesn’t exist anymore etc etc.
Maintenance shops doesn’t exist either really.
Do you want to hear more?

Sebastian S.
EDAZ, Germany

From about 10 Extra400 which are airworthy 5 are on for sell and the majority since years and unfortunately the situation around them is not getting better. When they are not flown regularly you will have findings and items all around. I know what is going on, I was walking through this deep valley…..

Sebastian S.
EDAZ, Germany

Having recently purchased a 400, I must say you are overstating the issues. While the 400 is a double orphan, engine and airframe, most wearable parts are easily available. The vast majority are commonly used in other production aircraft.

This is not a plane for the average Cirrus buyer. It will increasingly require hands on ownership, and at some point I think experimental classification. The payoff is a very capable aircraft, with a massive cabin for the class. Relative to other pressurized 6 or 4 seat options, I like to Extra capabilities.

Cheers,
Frank

EA-400 Extreme Makeover
KSGJ, KMJX, United States

With the average GA aircraft now over forty years old, a twenty year old airframe, even if an orphan, has certain advantages.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

and at some point I think experimental classification

That would work fine in the US but in Europe it is almost totally useless for an aircraft of this capability (IFR, long distance, etc) due to the various legal restrictions on uncertified aircraft.

The vast majority are commonly used in other production aircraft.

That’s probably true for most aircraft but most of the owners either don’t know it, or the airframe manufacturer makes it hard to find out (e.g. Socata use a special code number system to conceal the OEM). Do Extra publish the OEM details for the parts they buy-in?

a twenty year old airframe, even if an orphan, has certain advantages

It should be in a very good condition.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message