Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Used Piper Meridian (and others)

I hope so… but yes during my research for the Pilot article the depreciation of the Meridian has been pretty low over the past few years according to the US biased blue book. There are not really enough of Meridians sold in Europe to get any feel for how they have faired. It seems older aircraft prices are largely determined by linear depreciation based on hours remaining to TBO. But lots of aircraft built in early 2000’s have still not reached even half TBO. Mine is 1350 hours out of 3600 and was built in 2003.

But I don’t think any of the other SET’s are in the PC12 league for holding their value.

Lydd

The only place for Meggit Magic is in the bin …. before it tries to kill you!

Where on earth do you get that from? its rather dramatic and can’t think of a failure mode that would cause death with a reasonably competent pilot. Enlighten me please? The Meggitt has multiple reversion modes including dual ADAHRS and if everthing fails on both sides there is an independently powered backup AI, conventional ASI and pressure Altimeter.

Granted if the primary display fails and everything drops onto the secondary display below you lose the autopilot and HSI but you still can maintain control very easily.

Lydd

I was told when my Meggit Magic dispays were playing up that I might as well change it now for a Garmin G500 and enjoy it as any prospective buyer in the future would only knock off the cost of a Garmin G500 anyway.

I do agree with you here though. Although the way it seems to work is that those aircraft with dual G500s and GTN750 upgraded already are advertised at $125k more than the ones with Meggitt Magics still installed. So typically $875k vs $750K. So yep, the first hint they are misbehaving they are out – I still like the presentation though

Lydd

PhilG wrote:

Where on earth do you get that from?

Hi Phil, …. for example when the screen goes blank on an approach at minimums

Fortunately it was only fitted to one side, so when I was forced to replace the Meggit Magic with the G500 it was half the cost that it could have been if it was on both sides.

I sincerely hope that your Meggit continues to work as intended and that you continue to have confidence with it.

PhilG wrote:

I still like the presentation though

Phil, I also liked the presentation, when it was working it was spot on, trouble was I just didnt know when it was going to fail, on the last flight when it was still working intermittently, my wife shouted at it and that was it, it never came back to life!

Hi Quatrelle, yes that scenario at minimums would be dreadful and not one that I have practised. Looks like 1000’ ceilings from now on Seriously though it is something I will add to recurrency training until I have worked out my panel upgrade.

Thanks

Phil

Lydd

@Mooney_Driver

Cabin leaks is what she’s still in for. Wing root leaks done, but once started leak proofing cabin windows we thought the screw threads were a little too long, which indicates bad window seals. So out they came for new seals. And whilst the windows were out, since they were pretty hazy, we sent them all off for polishing. I had done the same with main windscreens to great success – they look like new at a quarter of the cost. However, same guy took his time doing it this time around and 2 months went by, with a comedy of errors in shipping in the end (which ate another 3 weeks with the windows riding on trucks across America and sitting in loading bays). It’s never easy. I’m hoping the windows are done by next week, so we can test fly her. If she’s good, she gets flown back and last avionics fixes and interior goes in.

PhilG wrote:

until I have worked out my panel upgrade.

Hi Phil, Have a look at this from Joe Casey, 2nd part describes upgrade from Meggit to G500/G750

http://flycasey.com/page/2/

quatrelle wrote:

Hi Phil, Have a look at this from Joe Casey, 2nd part describes upgrade from Meggit to G500/G750

http://flycasey.com/page/2/

Hi Quatrelle, yes I think that is definitely one way to go but with the G500 TXi whenever that may get EASA approval. Then the question is 7" portrait or 10.6" landscape?

Lydd

Peter wrote:

Could you post a summary here? Almost nobody on EuroGA is going to buy a UK pilot mag

Obviously a non UK citizen did buy that mag The abbreviated article without the comparison is here: Make mine a Meridian
The cost comparison looks like this (© pilotweb.aero)

And the performance data of those three aircrafts (again © pilotweb.aero)

It would be nice to know how a Continental Diesel CS-155 or Austro AE300 would fit into that comparison. AFAIK they only have a 100h check compared to the common Lycos and Contis needing a 50 h check but I might be wrong.
But I was surprised how low the cost per nm on a PT6 PA46 is against a SR22 even though they compare apples against pears with 10 years difference in age. But still what speaks against a SET compared with a turbo SEP looking at these numbers?

Last Edited by Neal at 02 Nov 22:54
LSPG, LSZC, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message