Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corporate Aircraft

We are thinking about buying a aircraft to our company. We do a lot of travel around Europe and think that it could save us a great deal of time and also give us a bit more flexibility. We have been talking about some models but I thought i could ask you all about your experience in the matter. I’m looking for performance and actual maintenance costs.

The typical mission profile is
2-4 passengers
200-800nm
IFR
Singel pilot

We would fly around 200-300h/year.

We have been talking about a TBM 850 but all information is welcome!

-ESMP-
ESMP, ESMV

Welcome Wernvik !
First, you are in a smart company !

I don’t have a clear answer but some questions for you to think of.
I assume that as a business, you want the best dispatch rate possible.

• Do you need to fly all-year round ? I guess in Sweden it means solid deicing
  • What kind of passengers do you want to take ? Can they accept canulas or do you have to go to pressurisation ?
  • Who will be the pilot ? Some PPL employee(s) OK for upgrading or a hired professionnal pilot ?
  • What kind of airports/areas do you to travel to ? Major cities or rural areas ? Within Schengen area or not ?
  • How much aeronautical infrastructure do you have at hand in your area ? I guess you’ll need an IFR airport, open late at night, with hangar space. Customs and a maintenance shop would be nice too.

TBMs are awesome planes (I’m French ) and seems to fit your profile. Some TBM700 are rather cheap today (around 1M with little depreciation) , we had a thread about them not so long ago.
I was once told by a TBM salesman that an 850 is about 800€ of variable cost per hour. Just type TBM in the research bar and you will find plenty of good stuff.

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 27 Jan 15:33
LFOU, France

If utilisation is around 200 hours per year with quite short sectors a well maintained, good condition Cessna 414/421 may be more suitable than a turboprop/turbine. The cabin comfort of a 421 is also self evidently more comfortable.

The mission profile also fits the Jetprop and Silver Eagle conversions.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Thanks for the input.

We would be based at an IFR airport. De icing is a must in sweden during mist of the year so it is a must. I think a pressurized cabin is to preferred.

Anyone got some economic around a Cessna 414/421?

-ESMP-
ESMP, ESMV

Assume 35-40 USGph, and using the reasonably reliable 2-3x fuel cost rule of thumb for total operational cost (assuming at least 150-200 hours p.a.), around €700-900 per hour. This excludes professional crew, so would be self flown.

A good condition 414 might be found for €150K, a 421 €200k plus. K-aircraft broker the sale of half a dozen of these most years.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

What is your budget?

There are very different options available at US$200k, 800k, 1.2mn, 2mn.

Also, always operating from hard 3-4k+ ft runways or shorter?

Last Edited by JasonC at 27 Jan 21:41
EGTK Oxford

If they are looking at an 850, they probably don’t care about bargain aircraft! More of a king air vs PC12 vs TBM etc comparison I assume

I would then think a TBM or Mustang in the $1-2mn range would be the best options. Cost of running prob similar. TBM burns less fuel Mustang would cost less to maintain. Depends if you need the range of the TBM really.

EGTK Oxford

When it comes to budget we are looking for the total cost. No reason to buy a cheep aircraft that is very expensive to fly. Our total budget for the airplane is somewhere around $1mil.

In the best of worlds the plane would be able to take 4 pax + luggage, travel att 300kt and land on 600m grass after 1000nm but that’s not really possible. We will use paved runway but needs to be able to operate on 1000m. 1000nm would be good but 800nm is minimum.

The most of the trips will be around 600nm so of course a piston that do at least 200kt would be a possibility.

I know that there has been many discussions on TBM/PC/BA and I’m not looking for one more but if anyone have some real life numbers on economics I would appreciate it. And if someone has any other ideas on airplanes.

Then it is the never ending discussion about single vs multi engine….

@ JasonC

I se that you have been flying a mustang. Do you have any numbers on the economy? Is it possible to fly with pilot and 4 pax and still have some range left?

Last Edited by Wernvik at 28 Jan 07:51
-ESMP-
ESMP, ESMV

Wernvik wrote:

In the best of worlds the plane would be able to take 4 pax + luggage, travel att 300kt and land on 600m grass after 1000nm but that’s not really possible.

Twin Commander 1000 does all that, and there is a maintenance base in Sweden. They are a little above your budget, but not a lot, especially if you don’t need RVSM. (ie FL280 instead of FL350).

EGKB Biggin Hill
31 Posts
Sign in to add your message