Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

AOPA: Which chapter to join?

I think about joining AOPA, among other things because of a planned trip to Greece where there seem to be reduced fees for AOPA members on certain airports.

Now, which chapter should one join? The Austrian organisation seems to be in permanent hibernation, the next logical choice would be AOPA Germany, or better the US “parent organisation”? What’s your experience?

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Join the German AOPA and have your money go into EASA lobbying instead of FAA lobbying.

And most importantly: insert my name in the “who recommended AOPA” field so I receive a gift

However, US AOPA “gets around” Europe a fair bit, and when they do appear they have a pretty good punch.

I recall Phil Boyer in one European capital city (c. 2006 or 2008) making a speech which was way beyond anything made by the locals… stuff like IFR into airports without a tower… the regulator officials in the audience slinked away like stray cats before the Q&A session could get going. One top knob from Eurocontrol escaped saying he was on his way to [a small country in Latin America] to “show them how to do it properly”.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

From what I have seen of AOPA they are completely counter productive for anyone but those with a biz jet or larger. Better to join one or several of experimental, old timers or microlight or at least one that is member of FAI.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

From what I have seen of AOPA they are completely counter productive for anyone but those with a biz jet or larger.

Are you talking about AOPA Norway? The statement could not be further from the truth when applied to AOPA US or AOPA Germany. Especially for Germany, they are the only real organization fighting for the rights of (certified) GA.

Especially for Germany, they are the only real organization fighting for the rights of (certified) GA.

Maybe, but my impression is an organization working for status quo – as it was in the early 1970s. I can’t see they have done anything worth while. The Norwegian CAA themselves has done more to keep GA alive, trying to include the good things from EASA and exclude the bad (compared with AOPA that is), making things livable for experimental, Annex II, microlight and gliders.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Especially for Germany, they are the only real organization fighting for the rights of (certified) GA.

Are you sure? AOPA UK is doing a lot of GA representation. In an old life I was around the table with them a lot… Also PPL/IR

EDHS, Germany
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message