Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Questions about AOPA membership

I am still not a member of AOPA but I am considering becoming one and I am wondering a few things.

1. I heard that becoming a member in one state makes you a member everywhere. That means if I am a member of AOPA Switzerland and fly to say Greece, I can use all AOPA benefits there. Is this correct?
  2. If the first one is correct, what stops me from becoming a member e.g. in Bulgaria (membership fee 50 EUR per year) instead of Switzerland (membership fee 250 CHF per year)?
  3. What are the benefits of AOPA membership for owners and non-owners? I know there are sometimes special prices for landings or handling at some airports but is there something else?
  4. Are there an obligations, i.e. must a member do something special?
LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

I have some questions, too, in this regard. I understand the one reason to join is that AOPA are about the one and only organisation to lobby for the interests of G/A. I was ready to join my national branch only to learn it had been discontinued – and was recommended to join the Dutch chapter instead, which has little attraction for me. Still in doubt wether to join in UK or in Germany (one forum member seems to be keenly supporting German membership… )

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Better join AOPA UK or Germany, your money is better spent there. Only they have the resources to do something and aviation is a European thing, the lobbying needs to take place there.

I think every pilot should be member of AOPA. It is the only lobby organization we have that actually has some power. Forget about the benefits, it’s a lobby organization, nothing else. Just like the car club AAAA in the US and ADAC in Germany.

I joined the German chapter on advice from Achim this spring. They organise several training camps with different topics (IFR, Alps, sea…), but I didn’t find the time to participate in one yet.

Anyways, one trip to Greece should be enough to make good for the annual membership fee because of the reduced handling charges.

And yes, I agree about them being the only GA lobbying organisation which has at least a little influence.

Last Edited by blueline at 06 Aug 20:42
LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

If I understand correctly, the country in which one is a member is not important. I see however AOPA Germany have a special membership for members of AOPA in other countries – here, called IAOPA. What is it for?

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

For the Greek handling discount any AOPA will do – even my US one was fine with Swissport, and they do check it is valid so bring the current confirmation with you. The discount is not big – about the cost of a fish. But most Greek airports are pretty cheap, in the context of a trip.

IMHO the whole European GA representation scene is troubled by various “big characters” and this prevents most of the (numerous) organisations working together. Consequently a large % of pilots will not join up. This is however a standard problem in most volunteer organisations. You can get a taste of it here, when you see the diagrams depicting the various organisations.

I am a member of AOPA US. I don’t live in the USA but they have influence is Europe too, via IAOPA, and via setting an example of how a can-do approach does work.

BTW does anyone know the current membership total of AOPA UK? I can’t find it on their website.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Vladimir wrote:

If I understand correctly, the country in which one is a member is not important. I see however AOPA Germany have a special membership for members of AOPA in other countries – here, called IAOPA. What is it for?

If you want to get AOPA-Germany membership benefits like insurance discounts etc. you have to be a member of AOPA-Germany.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I am (was) a member of AOPA France.
2 problems : my last AIRCREW card dates back to 2011 or 2012 and they don’t remind me to renew my membership, so i’m not a memeber this year but not really because I don’t want…

But I am a member for lobby reasons, not for the benefits (which are few in FR and I have not really understood anyway…)

I know AOPA belgium is revived @Jan_Olieslagers

Otherwise, if everybody concentrates on 2 or 3 AOPA there is a problem : locally there will be no lobby possible as I hardly see AOPA Germany lobby in Belgium for Belgian airspace.

Which is why I considered being a member of AOPA Luxembourg as well as France (but not done it yet )

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg

I know AOPA belgium is revived

Interesting! Any contact details, please?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I will find out for you

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg
32 Posts
Sign in to add your message