Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Are there any mandatory VFR routes OCAS?

When I flew to GMME Rabat Morocco, most of the flight was in Class G but flying the VFR routes in Morocco was “de facto mandatory”. The controller was asking for frequent position reports.

In LPCS Cascais Portugal, there are VFR arrival and departure routes. They separate the inbound and outbound flows by 500ft, so inbound is maybe 1500 and outbound is 1000. I believe those routes keep you below the Lisbon TMA CAS, yet they seem to be kind of “de facto mandatory” again.

Last Edited by Alpha_Floor at 29 Mar 13:09
EDDW, Germany

“You could 100.000% legally turn off your radio and fly anywhere OCAS you want (usual caveats apply e.g. P D R areas, border crossings, etc).”

What about uncontrolled airfields OCAS. Eg LFFK. Radio is mandatory here, you can 100% not turn your radio off.

France

Alpha_Floor wrote:

When I flew to GMME Rabat Morocco, most of the flight was in Class G but flying the VFR routes in Morocco was “de facto mandatory”. The controller was asking for frequent position reports.

That is a really amazing video to a guy who hasn’t filed any kind of flight plan in going on 20 years and who very rarely maintains any kind of radio contact with the ground en route.

It looks like the route to Rabat would be to follow the shoreline. Assuming the controller doesn’t have radar (the only reason I can imagine for the excruciating number of position reports requested) you have to wonder why can’t he just ask your speed and figure out when you’ll get to those points all on his own, allowing you to do other things like fly the plane

Last Edited by Silvaire at 29 Mar 14:48

Alpha_Floor wrote:

most of the flight was in Class G but flying the VFR routes in Morocco was “de facto mandatory”

Nice video bloody high though

The routes are also mandatory for gliders but no height restrictions and thermals going up to 10kft, if you ask to go too much “off VFR airways” regional ATC will start asking “Rho & Theta” to IFR waypoints or aerodrome every 5min, at some point you keep it for yourself, they also feel the need to clear you for field landouts, give wind & QNH while asking you to call them later to close your FPL

Last Edited by Ibra at 29 Mar 15:00
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message