Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ATC referring to airway names (and airspace discussion)

bookworm wrote:

But that’s about 10 minutes in yours. :)

45 minutes (we had a headwind). And after the dinner @rosewellian and I had it probably knocked a few knots off.

EGTK Oxford

Skydemon has airways as well (but it costs money). Select “Mapping > Switch to Airways Mode”, and then you can even search for the airways designator in the search window, and it will highlight it for you on the map.

Exactly, Skydemon!
It’s not rare to be given Y55 to SALEV by Basel when going to Chambery or Annecy.

EGTF, LFTF

Thank you @Michal

However, unless I am missing something, this could be very time consuming. Just for the UK I see

Having found which one of these is the airway chart, that’s just one country.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Opps, fair comment. Just check other countries, looks we have truly single european sky :-) country by country is different in this AIP section. Sometimes just pick 1 of 2 offered, sometimes spend whole night before you finally find the right one. But I am sure it’s there even for the UK

LKKU, LKTB

Peter wrote:

However, unless I am missing something, this could be very time consuming.

Yes, Peter. So you have a choice. You can spend that time yourself, or you can pay Tim Dawson (or 10 times as much to Jepp) to do it for you.

Peter wrote:

Just for the UK

Try a different country. As usual, the UK is different. With its disjoint ATC, they need lots of charts detailing who’s responsible where. But even for the UK it’s easy to find the relevant charts if your browser has a search function that can search for “ats routes”

LSZK, Switzerland

And Peter, was that route part of your cleared routing or not?

I buy the printed charts once every year just in case. Once tried to download and print the German low routes but then I gave up and keep buying the charts.

Plates are a different story: just considering dedicating an e-reader only to plates and downloading pdfs into that on a semi-regular basis. Has anybody tried that before?

CenturionFlyer
LKLT

was that route part of your cleared routing or not?

Doesn’t look like it… unless one of the DCTs happens to lie on it.

EDNY ALAGO Z5 LOKTA N851 LEBSO DCT UBASI DCT ABKUT DCT PIREK DCT TOLEY DCT USAPA DCT ASMOX Y180 NISIV DCT KOMOB DCT GSY DCT AKOVI DCT KOK DCT VABIK DCT DVR M140 WIZAD M140 MAY VFR EGKA

I just told them my equipment does not support airway names. They seemed to have no problem with that. Anybody flying with a GNS box (probably 90-95% of IFR pilots, in anything including a King Air or an old TBM) has the same problem.

I have looked up Z104. It runs nowhere near my filed route. Z104 is in red:

ATC rarely give me the filed route, especially one like this with loads of DCTs, especially through Belgium or Germany. You often get something close but ATC like to use their regular routes for low level (below FL200) GA stuff. So e.g. through Belgium you get KOK LNO or similar.

I have no problem with terminal charts, but that’s a completely different story.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Just to add my little bit – I find this a COMMON occurrence when it is looked at in context. Day to day normal flight following the flightplan or getting directs to points on the route you will rarely hear it, but when given a reclearence it is very common (in my experience) which is what happened to you (it seems). The other time it is common to hear it is when departing certain airports (I think whenever there will be a period outside of radar control) like in Scotland. I can’t honestly remember the airway names so I will make it up but I seem to remember the departure clearence on the ground to be not unlike “Clear to destination after departure route GOW via N600” or words to that effect. Definitely remember hearing the airway in it anyway.

United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message