Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Atlantic crossing notebook

Wonderful photos!

Greenland and Iceland are two places that I’d really love to visit someday. Particularly Greenland.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Good show, Jason!

Jason – since you do these overwater legs quite frequently, I have to ask (without at all criticizing your airplane choice or re-hashing any old tired single vs. twin debates):

Have you ever considered getting a TP twin? It struck me that you could get the last Turbo Commander the 840/980/1000 model for probably less than your Piper. It’ll do 300kts and go 2000nm direct, up to FL330 (it has a 6.7psi cabin) – and can be had with either G600 or G1000 panels. Granted, it might incur some more landing fee’s, and burn a little more fuel.

Ever considered a TP twin as an alternative?

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 03 Apr 20:56

Good show, well done, a long day. Goose bay and Narsarsuaq look colder than last time!

EDHS, Germany

Some people just don’t want to fly around in 40 year old aircraft, Adam…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

And a footnote on today’s flying. Was very cold overnight and needed deicing and GPU start in Goose Bay. Aircraft do not like being cold soaked at -15. Down to Bangor went well. XM radio and Nexrad is a dream.

Then dropped a friend off at Boston Logan. Obviously expensive there and the fuel is really costly for here. However as I bought 60 gallons, fees were cheaper than I paid 4 days ago in Egelsbach and the fuel was also cheaper…

Needed a brake bleed so the chap who did some work on my mirage serval years ago did it for free at Marshfield which is about 20 miles from Logan – no tower but an LPV approach although I didn’t need it. No delays leaving Logan either in a line of airliners.

Needed to get the Hanscom KBED so left Marshfield, called Boston Approach and got a VFR transit right through the Logan Class B.

No delays. No holding.

I had almost accepted European aviation. Thank God I came back and reminded myself how it can be.

Adam, that is just not the aircraft I want to fly. For the next episode on that subject, standby….

EGTK Oxford

And to the comments about hoping to do it one day. I would really suggest you just do it. It truly is not that hard. Takes a bit of planning and I know doing it in an unpressurised piston is different but still.

It costs a bit but mostly just fuel and a bit of handling.

The only thing that can take some planning is the visa for the US entry.

So if you ever wanted to do it, maybe just file a flight plan and go!

EGTK Oxford

For the next episode on that subject, standby….

After those headwinds my bet’s on a TBM ;)

EGBB

Adam, that is just not the aircraft I want to fly. For the next episode on that subject, standby….

Fair enough. The PC12 is probably the range king in this class, but it’s not that fast. TBM is very close in range and much faster, so that would seem like a good bet if one wanted to stay single engine…

Interestingly, even if you were a gazillionaire and money was not an object, there simply is no plane available that can do SP much more than 2000nm. Not for love or money. Range list for SP aircraft looks something like this:

1. SJ30 – 2500nm
2. Fairchild/Swearingen Metro III – 2300nm
3. CJ4 – 2000nm
4. Turbo Commander 1000 – 2000nm
5. PC12 – 1700nm
6. TBM – 1600nm

I find this bizarre. It means you can’t go NY direct LA, or London to Cairo in any plane SP today reliably into the wind, no matter how much you’re willing to spend. We’re not talking tens of hours here – we’re talking a mere 6hr in the air.

Adam,

the Mooney Ovation has a 2400 NM range but non pressurized and at about 160 kts (to achieve the range), the Acclaim 1800 NM at 220 kts.

I reckon the market is just not there for airplanes with such huge range, people will most of the time fly shorter legs. What I find when looking at such extreme ranges, payload suffers dramatically. In the end, you still need to refuel even though you have the theoretical capacity.

Jason,

you’re right, even though in my case it would mean fitting additional fuel capacity. I would simply not be comfortable doing that route with less than 1000 NM still air range, even though it could be done based on pure math. But I’d really like more reserve than what I have right now. I also believe that some places mandate something like 3 hours reserve fuel for SEP’s over that route.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message