Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Availability of FIS in Spain and monitoring procedures within PALMA TMA?

Dear all,

Easy question?
Is FIS in Spain available and if so, where are the appropriate frequencies published in the AIP?

Referring to AIP Spain (ENR) “VFR Procedures in Palma TMA” it says:

“Aircraft shall contact or monitor in the appropriate frequencies in each area, as shown in the chart”

When consulting the appropriate chart (AIP-ENR) the following is printed:
ZONA ESTE: D: 118.20 (Mhz) LEMH / G: Monitor 120.70 Mhz.

From my understanding:
when i.e. flying from San Luis to Son Bonet below 1.000 ft, while approaching Son Bonet via Sector-35E, I’d monitor the named frequency (120.70), wouldn’t I?
In fact, when I was flying from Corse to Son Bonet two years ago I was asked to monitor Palma Approach (119,40), which is different from what the chart says.

So, three questions in general:
1. Where do I find the relevant FIS frequencies for Spain?
2. What is the correct procedure for monitoring when flying within PALMA TMA (ZONA ESTE/CENTRAL/OESTE vs. dedicated Approach Frequencies, such as PALMA Appr.)
3. How is the monitoring procedure in detail, just initial call (“ZONA ESTE, D-EXXX with you”) or only tuning the relevant frequency but keeping calm?

Thank you & best regards

You will find the appropriate frequencies on the charts. FIS frequencies are shared with APP frequencies.

ATC will guide you through the frequencies to be used. You will not be on your own to find out. Depending on how busy certain sectors are you may be asked to monitor a different one than you would have expected. A typical scenario from San Luis to Son Bonet:

You will have filed a FPL through your own computer or by calling +34 971 789 286. When ready for departure contact 119.65 (Menorca). “D-XXXX, ready for departure RWYxx San Luis, VFR to Son Bonet”. No need for more info, they will have your FPL. Before you call them it is a good idea to listen out on this freq so you get a feel for commercial traffic in the area. If no traffic it’s going to be easy for them to let you cross the main airport right away. After your call they will tell you to report airborne, and stay east of the field. When airborne, “D-XXX, airborne San Luis, request cross your airfield” and assuming no commercial traffic they will give you permission and ask you to “report W point at max 1000 ft” or “follow the W corridor and report 12 miles out”. When you have reported 12 miles out they will ask you to “contact 120.7 for traffic information”. After you have established contact with Palma on 120.7 you will just say “D-XXXX, VFR from San Luis to Son Bonet climbing to …….. ft. They probably give you a sq code. As you approach the island they will pass you on to another freq. That freq will tell you to descend to 1.000 or below (check chart where that is). Once you cross the coast I would tell them that you are “changing to Son Bonet 123.5” That is a good idea because local traffic (schools mainly) will be all over the island on that freq.. After landing don’t forget to call Palma Ops on 130.25 to close your flight plan.

Things are the same when coming from the Barcelona area, but the problem is that that the Palma APP freqencies will not be able to hear you at VFR altitudes because the mountains block reception. So once a BCN freq tells you to change to Palma freq xxx you will not be in touch with them until say 20 miles from the coast, if you are high. Best chance of reception the higher you are, look at your chart for the area where you can be upto 6.000 ft. They will tell you to be 1000 ft over terrain of more when reaching the coast line, which is pretty high, mountains 3.000-4.500 ft elevation.. They sometimes say 1000 ft over the ground or sea but the sea part is BS, just disregard and say that you will be max 1000 over the ground when reaching the coast line..

Last Edited by aart at 27 Feb 15:02
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Hello aart,

thank you so much for your help.

Let me see if I got everything correctly.

There are no dedicated FIS frequencies published within the AIP/VAC/TMA-Charts – instead, ATC will guide you through the frequencies.
This is no problem when departing from a controlled airfield/airport – but what do you do when departing uncontrolled?

Let’s imagine departing from Son Bonet with destination LECN via ADX NDB, < 1.000 ft AGL.
As far as I understood, you suggest to remain on 123.50 (Son Bonet) until reaching the coastline (Andraitx). And afterwards… how to continue?
Would you dial in ZONA OESTE 118.0 or PALMA APP on 119.40, which Skydemon suggests?

20 NM before reaching Spanish mainland (let’s assume no previous contact with any FIS-station) – what would be the correct FIS frequency for Valencia TMA in order to receive traffic information?
No information in the AIP/TMA/VAC-Charts on that, again, I’d give Valencia APP 120.100 a try but…??

Thx again.

TB_flyer wrote:

No information in the AIP/TMA/VAC-Charts on that, again, I’d give Valencia APP 120.100 a try but…??

Why? The VAC chart clearly states APP 120.100, so what’s unclear? FYI, getting FIS in Spain is pretty much like Flight Following in the US, IOW you get a handover from one sector to the next. ATC in general also like position reports in relation to some NAVAID, so e.g. ‘10 miles on the 135 radial of XYZ VOR’. When I lived there, it was totally painless.

I take it you already know where to get the VAC charts from, if not, here’s the link: https://ais.enaire.es/AIP/AIPS/AMDT_299_2018_AIRAC_02_2018/AIP.html

Your example LESB-LECN:

You start taxying on 123.5, LESB freq (uncontrolled). You open yr FPL with Palma OPS, 130.250, say before you enter the rwy. They will tell you to contact Palma TWR after departure, 118.3. In the meantime you go back to the LESB freq while still in the traffic pattern. Go to Palma TWR after leaving the circuit. They will hand you over ASAP to an APP freq, 119.1, 118.0 or whatever, they’ll tell you. They will give you a sq, tell you to maintain 1000 ft AGL.

Remember, be brief, they are not interested in all kind of information like type of aircraft, POB, estimated time to etc.. It’s almost like IFR flying. “Call sign, altitude, inbound xxx”. If they want to know more, they’ll ask. Remember, they are working the IFR traffic and are not really interested in useless data from you..

Along your route, they will advise you who to change to. Now, as I said, between Mallorca and the mainland reception is not always assured. If they are not too busy, they’ll tell you something like “in case you lose contact, next freq will be xxx”. Or “in 20 miles from present position contact xxx”. You may want to anticipate and as you leave the island ask “in case we lose contact, what will be my next freq?”. But these frequencies should be on your VFR charts anyway..

In the case of approaching LECN, especially when low, you may lose Valencia APP 120.1. Live with it.. Just try and contact LECN info. And check for any parajumping. Btw, he’s a bit of a grumpy guy, but once on the ground, make some jokes with him and he’ll loosen up :)

Thank you guys for your explanations, again, very helpful!

172driver, not that easy, especially for those flying in France or Germany, where dedicated FIS sectors and frequencies are printed on the IGN/ICAO/VAC Charts.
As you mentioned; the APP freq. (in this case 120.1) is named, not the FIS freq – means: for flying in Spain you need to know that FIS is handled via the APP frequencies and as aart stated out several times, you do not know in advance by which APP frequency.

Don’t get me wrong, no problem with this (and I have been flying through Spain without any problems and also met the funny guy in LECN; anecdote: when arriving and entering his small barrack he pretended not to be awake and had me to wake him up only to show me that it was a joke :)), but it has to be written down somewhere and I did not find the place in the AIP where it says that FIS is handled via the APP frequencies in general.

Means: when flying through Spain you have to stay in the ATC loop right from the start, as you can not know, which would be the correct FIS/APP freq in advance.
You might guess but you can not be sure – but I do agree, no problem in real life!!

@ aart

“aart wrote:

You may want to anticipate and as you leave the island ask “in case we lose contact, what will be my next freq?”. But these frequencies should be on your VFR charts anyway..

which VFR charts are you referring to – do you have a source/store where to buy them?
Do I understand correctly that on these VFR-Charts the appropriate FIS sectors and frequencies can be seen?

The Iberia VFR-chart that can be bought in Germany does not provide any FIS frequencies.

By VFR-charts I meant for instance Skydemon, aren’t they on there? I don’t use Skydemon (yet). The old Jepp VFR+GPS paper charts have them, but they have been discontinued AFAIK. On these paper charts it usually says “CTL” for such freqs, at some places (very few) there are “FIS” freqs

When enroute in i.e. France or Germany, Skydemon shows (alerts) the appropriate FIS freq.
This is not the case for Spain, where Skydemon only shows APP freqs.
With your explanation (FIS via APP freqs) this makes sense.

Not all countries have separate FIS frequencies, e.g. Sweden don’t — FIS is provided on regular ATC frequencies.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message