Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avionics shop recommendations - Europe (merged)

Muelli – your antenna cables were simply swapped. Left to right on the two blade antenna, and front to back on the single-blade antenna (which actually contains two blades). I can make my TCAS do what you had anytime I want, and actually it happened once by accident after the cables got swapped during an inspection. If those shops could not fix it they could not read the manuals.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There is a well known company in Germany which probably meets #3 and #4 but gets mixed reviews from Germans I know personally, and in my experience fails totally miserably on #1 and especially #2.

I can’t confirm that for Avionik Straubing which you obviously address here. They’ve installed a G500 in my arrow incl. new panel etc. Last time I were there with a problem of my A/P and they worked hard to fix that. And they did. Always good communication. This is the best avionics shop in Germany.

EDXQ

your antenna cables were simply swapped

Peter, sorry, but this is the first idea which came to mind. We tried all this before I even asked the guys in Damme. And they did the same again. I also tried that with the Straubing guys. We even replaced the TAS box. So at the end Avionik Straubing created the proper cables and it worked.

EDXQ

OK… maybe, if you get the cable lengths really badly mismatched, or they are not properly shielded and there is a lot of cross-coupling (given they naturally run close together), the system can’t work out the direction at all. But then you should see all kinds of bogus targets, not just the exact right traffic but directionally swapped. Anyway I had read of those problems and I free-issued the shop I used with 50m of RG400 (which cost me £6.80/m) – they wanted to use a cheaper cable.

One day, when I get a chance I will visit Straubing. They are doable via an airline flight via Munich, as Alexis said. Do they have any serious TB20 experience e.g. installing a G500 in one?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

They used these cheap thin black antenna wires and squeezed it through the thin holes of the fuselage behind the interior to the antenna on top and to the 430 in the panel. They did not respect any length requirements.

They have all kind of aircraft there or is a TB20 any special? You want to install a G500? My G500 including 2 × 430 WAAS upgrade, new panel, was not far away from 50K Euros…

Last Edited by Muelli at 15 Nov 17:13
EDXQ

Do they have any serious TB20 experience e.g. installing a G500 in one?

Not sure whether they installed a G500 in a TB20 but they installed an Aspen PFD/MFD combination in my TB20 (and did a very good job at that) and one other TB20 that I know of. They did and do work on a number of other TBs as well. As to the G500: They have done installations in various Bonanzas, Pipers and Cessnas.

If you need to have details I suggest to get in contact with Erich (the head of the installation department) or Stefan (his deputy). http://www.avionik.de/en/about-us/team.html
Getting Stefan on the phone (they do call back if you miss them) might be the better option over sending an email and wanting an extensive reply as these guys are rather busy.

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

Avionik Straubing is the first choice. Only once there with a A/P not working. After touch down the man jumps into the plane (17LOC) and it was fixed with testflight at 10LOC next Morning. For a G500 installation it is the best place, all the other only try this, they do it every week.

EDAZ

Peter, you fly into MUC and it’s a 1:20 hour drive, but if the wx is nice I’ll pick you up and we fly…

Stefan or Erich can be reached directly throigh [email protected] (That’s the eMail of the shop)

I know that they install a lot of that stuff, three weeks ago when I was there they were installing a G900 in a Cheyenne. Not sure about TB20, but I bet they have done that already …

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 15 Nov 20:41

I’ve always rated Avionicare at Southend very highly for their work on my various aircraft. However, whilst I’ve always been very conscious that I am extremely small beer to them, as most of their work is much bigger commercial or military stuff, they have always looked after me in an exemplary fashion. Well worth having a chat with Peter Harland, the MD, and having a look over their establishment. PM me if you need numbers, but this www.avionicare.com should get you 99% of the way there…

What about Scandinavian Avionics…

Sign in to add your message