Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Avioportolano VFR map Italy

As I intend to do some flying in Italy this weekend I bought the Avioportolano VFR map. The Jeppesen product is obviously no longer available. Preparing for the flight i did have a detailed look at the map in the area of Rome. It shows the Rome CTR up to 3500ft and some prohibited areas etc. I could not really believe they have no inverted wedding cake airspace there so I digged out a 2011 Jeppesen map. That shows plenty ot very low class A airspace in this area. Am I getting something wrong here or is that Avioportolano map the best way to get into very serious trouble?

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Sebastian,

The Avioportolano maps are primarily made for ultralight flying.
The TMAs are not depicted, the logic being that they never go any lower than 1000 feet….

So yes, they are rather useless for universal VFR flying. I remarked this to the creator of Avioportolano several times, but to no avail so far…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 12 Mar 20:55
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

That is what I also thought. So I looked around for the usual comment which says the map only covers airspace up to X ft but could not find it. Also it does not seem consistent. West of Rome my Jeppesen map shows airspace A starting at 1000ft which is completely missing in the Avioportolano map. But then a little to the north the same chart will display Grosseto Airspace D 3000ft AGL to FL195

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

CTR are depicted in their entirety. TMA are not depicted at all.

I will send you a PM.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 12 Mar 20:58

There is no way to use the “Avioportolano VFR map” for flying VFR. You will lose your license or you crash an Airliner, because you will fly into airspace A.
Print “enav vfr map” in your search engine

This is a little concerning, am intending flying through Italy this summer and have the avioportolano cards in Flightplanner / on my SkyMap device to allow me to navigate…… Oh well….

EDL*, Germany

Is there a definitive map for Italy, available electronically?

How far out are the 2013 (discontinued) Jepp VFR maps? They do exist in electronic form (TIFF or JPG).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Listen guys,

my voice has been heard…the new (2014) edition of the Avioportolano charts (published a couple of weeks ago) does now contain all airspaces (including TMAs).

I would thus now consider it the best option if you want paper charts. The topography is also very nice. All Aviosuperfici are depicted.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 06 Apr 12:57

Where can this map be purchased, and what is the exact name?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

http://www.avioportolano.it/shop/index.php

But they also mention Pooleys and Transair as “stores”, among many more pilot’s shops all over Europe.

Last Edited by at 07 Apr 16:06
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message