Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aztec price reduced from 75k down to 19k!

RobertL18C wrote:

Taking w_n point on jets, these might be around EUR 3000 for a mid size. You then have handling on top.

The places with expensive handling for jets (Le Bourget, Farnborough, …) will charge similar fees for piston twins as well. My calculation was more for the commercial case anyway, where one has to pay for the crew and licensing fees and other company overheads. Our company got rid of the last King Air some years ago because no customer booked it any longer. For every flight over 400 km or so, a CitationJet was cheaper – even if it costs almost twice as much per hour. And the same relation will hold between KingAir and Aztec.

Last Edited by what_next at 25 Nov 16:44
EDDS - Stuttgart

Calculating eurocontrol route charges is trivial and very well explained on the eurocontrol website. They have an example with the calc split. For a ESSA to EHAM flight in a 2.3t airplane, the charge would be about 113€.
RobertL18C wrote:

The first hour plan on 110 litres, then 90 litres in the cruise. 65% at wide open throttle altitude of FL90 delivers an honest 165 KTAS.

That 632NM flight at 165kts would take 3.8h = 110 + 2.8* 90 = 362 l = 724 € worth of of AVGAS @ 2€/l.
If the extra 301kg payload allows to bring 1 more pax, it pays backs. At iso-pax, then it only looks like a 15% extra charge on fuel alone.
RobertL18C wrote:
With pretty good utilisation, 250-350 hours p.a., I would budget for EUR 400 an hour including sinking funds.

Or 7.5% on total hourly cost.

400€ become 430€ per hour. Is this frightening?

ESMK, Sweden

Arne, do you realize that example is over 16 years old? Also, on private flights, it’s IMHO not likely you’d bring more people just because you have the payload. And you wouldn’t charge them anyway. Not to mention that having a 1999 kg STC doesn’t necessarily mean everyone adheres to 1999 kg MTOM (after all, the aircraft is certified to carry more than that).

Martin wrote:

Arne, do you realize that example is over 16 years old?
I do. Just for you I re-did the calculation with the November 2016 rates: 164,14€.
400 becomes 443€/h.
Martin wrote:
Also, on private flights, it’s IMHO not likely you’d bring more people just because you have the payload.
To the point exactly. Don’t fly with an oversized airplane.

ESMK, Sweden

The way I see it. you only live once and a certain part of your life should be dedicated to pursuing your personal goals and interests, rational or not, no excuses only smiles. You can also share the fun with others, as the boss did with me. He eventually died of cancer, but had a really great and accomplished life.

Never a truer word written, Silvaire. So many folks reach the end, thinking, if only. Get out there and enjoy.

Now to the Aztec. Simplist thing in the world is to buy the asset. Hardest thing in the world is the affordability to operate it. This applies to anything, be it a boat, car, plane, building, house. You name it.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

BeechBaby wrote:

Get out there and enjoy.

Easier written than done! With a normal income and normal financial liabilities (family, home, car, pesion, food, health) and no lottery win and no big inheritance and no bank robbery, owning and flying a piston twin is simply not possible. As much as many pilots would like it. Insufficient funds. That simple. Maybe one could buy one for 19000 Euros and keep the car a few years longer. Or fly one for a couple of hours per year. But not both at the same time, at least not for long. Sorry, but this " no excuses only smiles " talk is just that – idle talk.

EDDS - Stuttgart

EASA’s original rules have put a lot of owners out of business. That is a fact.

Interesting. I don’t know a single owner who sold due to EASA regs. Not even on a side note.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

and keep the car a few years longer

call me old fashioned but my ‘72 VW 1300 ’subsidises’ the ’51 90 HP Super Cub, or is it the other way round? Am hoping both will outlast me.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Easier written than done! With a normal income and normal financial liabilities

What is “normal”? Some peoples norm is 300m euro a year, and still cannot buy a bigger super yacht. Makes them edgy and miserable apparently. Same with my 747 is bigger than your, 767.

Last Edited by BeechBaby at 25 Nov 20:53
Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Normal? Mean, mode, median, 25-75th percentile, 5th-95th percentile… No twins.

Sign in to add your message