Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Barcelona El-Prat LEBL prohibits SET

AENA announced that no SET nor any aircraft < 2000 kg MTOM are allowed as of March 24th. A few people are pretty annoyed and rightfully so. It illustrates the compete disdain that Spain has for GA. The ‘Real Aeroclub de España’ just published a long article on that disdain, they must have seen the LEBL thing coming.

https://realaeroclubdeespaña.org/aena-ahoga-la-formacion-aeronautica-y-el-desarrollo-de-la-aviacion-general/

Last Edited by aart at 23 Mar 14:32
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Images attached to above:

That is really going to upset the TBM/PC12 crowd.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

That is really going to upset the TBM/PC12 crowd.

I don’t understand, why only SETs and not SEPs?
And why MEP 1999kg is a no and MEP 2200kg is a yes?
Weird…

EGTR

arj1 wrote:

I think they didn’t think of any SEP with MTOW ≥ 2 t.

ELLX

lionel wrote:

arj1 wrote: I don’t understand, why only SETs and not SEPs?

I think they didn’t think of any SEP with MTOW ≥ 2 t.

But why 2T limit at all?
Typically at places like that they charge a lot for a small aircraft (£2K for PA-28 at EGKK, for example), at other places (EGLC) – no SE aircraft at all (with very few exceptions, once in a blue moon).

EGTR

lionel wrote:

I think they didn’t think of any SEP with MTOW ≥ 2 t.

What about SEP/SET conversions? if not, do you fancy a trip to Barcelona in T28 or P51? you pay for fuel and I will pay for dry rate and landing fee

Last Edited by Ibra at 23 Mar 16:59
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Curious as to what the reason might be? Was there any particular „occasion“ after which they drew the line?

Or just airport politics?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Maybe the 2t limit comes from the push to remove mandatory handling in practice for those lighter aircraft

EGTF, LFTF

Yes; could be a rearguard action against that Spanish law. We found this on the Menorca trip too. More here. Similarly, some thought that the French ban on VFR above FL115 is to block SET and MET ops below the FL200 base of Class A, avoiding IFR route charges.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

arj1 wrote:

The letter states all SET and all traffic below 2 tons. That basically is a prohibition for all light GA plus all TBM, PC12 and Malibus.

This should indeed be challenged in court. Unfortunately it reflects the attitude of a lot of major airports.

I don’t know what “El Prat” in Spanish means but somehow the attitude is well reflected by the 2nd word in that name in English.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message