Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Belgium, England and France – DAY 1 (Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium)

Actually, being somewhat of a local in luxembourg, i’ll have you know that every little borough has 2 names.
A “french” one and a luxemburgish one…

so Diekirch would be the “french” one
and Dikrech is the luxemburgish one

same goes for Luxembourg city (and country BTW) which are called Letzebuerg

Sorry it’s missn accents but it gives you an idea !!

nice day 1 you’ve made :-)

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg

EDAZ

From a business meeting in Walldorf (that’s a bit revealing, I suppose)

Oh dear!!

United Kingdom

Very inspiring report, as always!

Incidentally, I traveled the same route a few weeks back – overland: From a business meeting in Walldorf (that’s a bit revealing, I suppose) to a climbing weekend in Freyr and along the river Meuse. I would have much preferred flying over the (admittedly nice and enjoyable) 4 hour drive with a short stop in Luxembourg, but it was just not practicable.

I can recommend to anyone visiting the region to plan for a stop in Freyr. It’s a beautiful little town with some interesting rock formations.

Just don’t stay at Splendid Palace Dinant. The hostel has the charme of a mid century madhouse, is actually (!) located in the Avenue de la Déportation and the owner invents charges as he sees fit (for example 3 EUR “parking” per day/per bike for those of us who brought their mountain bikes).

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Remember that when Germans talk about IFR, they exclusively mean IFR “on airways”.

The aircraft lacks a DME, which is mandatory for D-reg. aircraft flying IFR. Also, a two-axis AP is required for single-pilot IFR in a D-reg. And yes, on top of that, the avionics would have to be checked every year (instead of every two years) to make it legal for IFR. Oh, and don’t forget about 8.33…

BTW, not all european countries mandate a 2nd altimeter for IFR under their reg. (Germany does.)

Last Edited by boscomantico at 11 May 20:36
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Excellent report! I presume the reason the plane is limited to VFR is something to do with the additional German certification requirements….the panel looks perfectly fine for IFR to me… albeit missing the second European altimeter…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Upon rechecking I can only conclude you were correct – seems they changed the callsign without asking my consent… Your flight prep looks like perfect, sir!

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Markus: don’t worry, the runway is quite good. Also, the Commander gear is very robust. Zaventem is 700 Euros. Charleroi and Antwerp are both a little far away.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 11 May 20:10

Wrong.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 11 May 19:30

Brussels is on my list the week after next week.
I’m not really sure whether Grimbergen is suitable for my Commander.

United Kingdom
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message