Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Berlin Airfields

I have a trip to Berlin coming up, and haven't flown in since they closed Tempelhof. Any recommendations or otherwise concerning airfields around the city? Tegel would be perfect but a few people have suggested that might be quite...er..expensive?

Colleagues often recommend EDAY, VFR only but with good service and train station nearby.

I've heard that too, I'm just a little put off by the distance from Berlin. A bit like landing at Lydd to go to a meeting in London. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Also, have a look at EDAZ - Schoenhagen (www.edaz.de or via the eddh.de-site, see martin-esmi's post). Currently VFR-only but they are working on getting an approval for an IFR-approach.

Consistently good feedback. Shuttle service to the next rail station, from there ca. 25 mins to the center of Berlin.

We will use the field for our next trip to Berlin in early August.

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

Could be worth asking Execujet at EDDB for a quote. [email protected]

Prob too expensive but you never know. I think handling is mandatory there and they don't have avgas.

EGTK Oxford

EDDT - Tegel

If you can get a parking PPR this is the best solution. The costs seem to be reasonable but parking spaces are very rare and in the winter they use the GA parking for deice. I think there is no AVGAS.

EDDB - Schönefeld

No AVGAS and around 120 Euro but with ILS and lots of parking spaces. The GAT is in the middle of nowhere. No chance to get even close with public transport.

EDAZ - Schönhagen

Nice VFR airfield. The IFR approach is promised forever but will not get active any time soon. They have rental cars or they will drive you to the train. But the airfield is quite far outside the city. With traffic you can easily drive one hour if you want to get to the city centre. AVGAS is currently 2,52 Euro including taxes.

EDAY - Strausberg

Similar to EDAZ but a little smaller and on the east side of the city. I don't know if they have rental cars.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

To get from EDDB to the city is not much fast at roush hour (by car) or by train than from EDAY. The EDAY shuttel service to the train station is cheap (10 Euro/10 Minutes) an the train goes in 30 Minutes to the center! The time you spent at EDDT or EDDB with paper and transfer to and from the apron will more than the 10 minutes traveltime more from EDAY! When you need a ILS do it at EDDB and flight VFR to EDAY. Not much options for a GA Pilot at the Berlin area, sry :-(

EDAZ

More Infos

EDAY Strausberg is much better than EDAZ Schönhagen for a visit to Berlin in my experience. EDAY has the metro right next to the airfield. EDAZ requires a taxi to the long distance train which does operate as frequently as the metro.

I don't think EDAZ offers anything that EDAY doesn't unless you really need a very long runway.

I always go to EDAZ. Cheap rental cars (Smart, BMW1, Audi), and a hotel with fair prices at the airport, € 55 for a double room. Also very good infrastructure, nice restaurant, aircraft maintenance. The drive to the city is about 40 minutes if there's not too much traffic.

15 Posts
Sign in to add your message