Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Best pilot ever: loses wing then lands "successfully"

Silvaire wrote:

The idea is that if the spar cracks, the internal
pressure will drop and with a gauge/light installed you will get a warning before failure. Famous Czech stuff, if you track such things.

A similar system is also used in the main rotor of Russian Mi-8 helicopters: the blades have tubular spars pressurised to 0.25 barg, and if the pressure escapes, a red cap pops out near the blade hinge.

RobertL18C wrote:

The ‘modern’ 142/242 was a very honest aerobatic trainer, but not suitable for aerobatics beyond sport level (cambered wing, relatively under powered), although technically it could carry out all the advanced manoeuvres.

Yes, the unlimited aerobatic one is Zlin 50, which had its heyday in the world championships. Z142/242 can do most manoeuvres, but power-on spins and snap rolls are explicitly prohibited. Z242 also has an AEIO-360 engine, which has limitations on unusual attitudes, as opposed to the dry-sump AIO-360.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 06 Jul 11:16
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

I still think it is amazing that Neil had the relative calm and instinct to fight for (and save) his live in such a clever and skilfull manner.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

In fact all large liquid fuel rockets need careful tank pressure control to ensure structural stability.

You don’t need to go all the way back to old Atlases: more recently a SpaceX Starship test article buckled under the weight of hundreds of tons of cryogenic fuel in the upper tank when the lower tank accidentally depressurized. This video explains it as well as the differences between old Atlases (unable to support their own weight even unfuelled) and Starship. Scroll to 01:00 to watch the demise of SN3

Antonio
LESB, Spain

I thought the ICBMs used fuel to keep the tube rigid enough to carry the weight above.

That’s correct, the skin of an otherwise unstable column structure is loaded outward via internal pressure. Since circumferential tension restrains it from going outward further, it is made stable. This saves weight versus adding structural stiffeners to the skin but does not make the structure stronger in the sense of reducing structural stresses.

(None of the above is in play with a Zlin main spar carry through structure, it is pressurized just to check for cracks and leaks)

Last Edited by Silvaire at 05 Jul 17:32

Interesting stuff!

I thought the ICBMs used fuel to keep the tube rigid enough to carry the weight above. I read a whole book on this.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The Zlin design incorporated in later versions included a nitrogen reserve in the spar with a warning light if the nitrogen had escaped, indicating the need for the spar to be inspected. It also had a G meter event recording system, if there was an exceedance another warning light came on. Care needed to be taken to energise the event recorder after starting, as starting electrical surges could cause a spurious event warning.

The ‘modern’ 142/242 was a very honest aerobatic trainer, but not suitable for aerobatics beyond sport level (cambered wing, relatively under powered), although technically it could carry out all the advanced manoeuvres.

The competition box has a floor of 100 Metres AGL Unlimited and 200 Metres AGL Advanced, so it would require very skilful dexterity to jettison the canopy and successfully deploy a parachute. The USA requires a parachute in the regs, and some schools used them for UPRT in the UK, but a lot of operators/practitioners in the UK don’t use them.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

It’s not pre-stressing although that has been used on other aerospace structures to stabilize them, see Atlas missile.

The idea is that if the spar cracks, the internal
pressure will drop and with a gauge/light installed you will get a warning before failure. Famous Czech stuff, if you track such things. Some additional discussion in a previous thread here.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 05 Jul 16:51

gas pressurized wing spar

That’s amazing. A sort of pre-stressing?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m not sure why he wasn’t wearing a parachute. From what I’ve read (only) it may not have been universal for aerobatics at that time and place.

Zlin (the plane’s manufacturer) then seems to have become really focused on structural failure, with gas pressurized wing spar, very conservative and mandatory life limits and ADs on later designs. I first read about William’s incident while studying some of this.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 05 Jul 16:15

Silvaire wrote:

he wasn’t wearing a parachute while doing competition level aerobatics

Very true. Any idea as to the reasoning for not wearing? I have only a few hours of aeros training in a Yak-52 and our instructor (the late and great Vytas Lapenas ) always insisted on wearing one.

Antonio
LESB, Spain
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message