Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

One of the weirdest stories yet. Plane lands on military beach, student pilot jumped?

Here —> https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/faits-divers-justice/un-avion-prive-atterrit-en-urgence-sur-la-plage-a-biscarrosse-le-co-pilote-porte-disparu-en-mer-1629829041

In French, but the report claims a plane landed on a Beach in Biscarosse (Landes) which is a Missile test site after the instructor managed to land the plane. Then there are 2 scenarios of what happened explained. The more surreal one, is the following.
Student Pilot gets into argument with chief Pilot instructor, wants to commit suicide, points plane to the ocean, wrestles with instructor, loses the fight then decides to jump from the plane in an apparent suicide. Instructor lands plane (Damaged?) on the beach. Police…

The second thesis is that of a mechanical failure?

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

Instructor lands plane (Damaged?) on the beach.

That is the question, why land when the origin of danger is gone. Thankfully that instructor survived his suicidal student…. I’ve known things like this to have other outcomes.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I know a guy who had a passenger jump out of his Stearman intentionally, a guy with terminal cancer who unknown to the pilot had a plan to go out in his own way. Happily the pilot is a complete narcissist and I don’t think it bothered him at all

Just read the article and this is bizarre, lots of info missing. Would be interesting to know if this was a first lesson (IOW ‘student’ flew with suicidal intent from the get-go) or something else. Wonder also what airplane that was, it only says two-seater. Can understand instructor landing, as he may be a) shaken, b) not sure if the airplane was still intact after the impromptu egress. Btw, @LFHNflightstudent, I can’t see a reference to an argument in the linked article.

172driver wrote:

Btw, @LFHNflightstudent, I can’t see a reference to an argument in the linked article.

It’s really interesting, as the article appears to have been updated with info around the search effort, but the link to the argument has been removed as well as some other info. Pretty poor journalism.

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

Pretty poor journalism.

Actually, they do mention the article has been updated, so maybe not that poor. That being said the initial article clearly mentioned an argument broke out, that reference has been completely removed now.

Serious risk of litigation if accusing the jumper of doing something like that, IMHO. He’s dead but it would affect his life insurance payout.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There is a new article on this: https://www.francebleu.fr/infos/faits-divers-justice/un-avion-prive-atterrit-en-urgence-sur-la-plage-a-biscarrosse-la-piste-du-suicide-du-co-pilote-1629883496
In short, it confirms that the ‘student pilot’ suddenly got ‘crazy’ and threatened to jump of the aircraft. The instructor planed for an emergency landing, but the student pilot jumped before the landing.
Maybe the student pilot also did something to the plane since the instructor landed on the beach even though the student was not on board any longer…

ENVA, Norway

The decision to make an emergency landing ASAP with a crazy student certainly seems to be a sensible one.

If halfway through that landing the student jumps, I am not sure I would say “ah, ok, fair enough, he is gone now so back to home base, I guess” or be sufficiently rattled to prefer to be on the ground anyway.

Biggin Hill

…or considering that he’s actually the only person close enough to maybe rescue the poor soul out of the sea, where after landing at least a chance exists to look after him.

Anyway, such a situation is absolutely pressing on the mind…

Germany
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message